What would you ask?

graigdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am not professional. I really only am into photography as a hobby. Although art school is in my forecast.

I am known around here for sports photography. I have done things for sports teams and fellow mountain bikers. All of that has been for free because I was going to be there anyway.

A buddy of mine asked me to come out and be the photographer at a big shindig with a bunch of quad riders. I would be taking pictures of them riding and group pictures as well. This would be all day. And its atleast an hours drive to get there.

I would put the pictures up on a website divided up by riders. Then they can order prints in several sizes.

Here is my question. What would I charge for something like this? AT LEAST charge for the gas. But for the time put into photgraphing 15 riders all day long and then creating a website and getting pictures printed for them. Im not affraid to ask for a generous ammount. This guy and his buddies are loaded and money is usualy never a problem.

Thanks for your help

Figure out your cost in processing and developing...then add your hourly. Only you can decide how much you are worth per hour.

As Metro said, figure out an hourly rate and estimate how long you'll be there, travel time, and webpage setup time. Be sure to take into account lab costs if it's being done on film. I assume digital wouldn't have extra costs except batteries and the above mentioned webpage time.

Obviously prints have a time cost and a materials cost. Don't forget your ink costs. Even in the traditional darkroom, it's always easier for me to make print #2+ of the same neg; most of the time is in getting the 1st one right. I try to encourage ordering multiple prints of the same shot by reducing my price on additional prints from the same neg/shot ordered at the same time.

I don't know what the market is like where you are, but around here I'd imagine that a photo student type would charge about $15/hour, and the local top pros would probably be charging at least 10 times that much. I'd be right in the middle.

Most reactions

Back