What Would You Do? Nikon D200 or D80

drgibson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well My D70 has decided it doesn't want to play any more so I need to replace it. I do action photography and the D70 worked ok for this, not great but ok. My other body is a Fuji S2 and there is no way it will take action shots. So here is my quandary; do I buy a D200 @$1,400 of a D80 @$1,000. I am also interested in getting the Nikkor 17 - 200 VR lens. Currently in my bag I have the D70 a Fuji S2, Nikkor 80 - 200mm f2.8 (very fast focusing), Nikkor 105mm f2.8 macro, Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8, Nikkor 17 - 70mm f3.5 - 4.5, and Tokina 28 - 200mm f3.5 - 5.6.
When shooting races typically I would use the D70 and the 80 - 200mm lens on a monopod. My dad just bought the D80 and I'm impressed with it's focusing capabilities. Even though they are not as good as the D200 it is much improved over the D70.

I need some advice from others who have had experience with these bodies. I need to make a discussion before the races this weekend. Thanks.

D200 all the way! If you have worn out a D70 then the durability of the D200 will pay for itself and the added ease of use will just be a bonus. Plus you can use your CF cards in the D200 and can't in the D80. It's nice being out of doors and not having to go back in at the hint of rain with the D200 and the weather sealing is good for dust as well.

mike

Sometimes I recommend saving money on the body when the money could be better put towards glass. In your case you obviously already have good lenses which suit your needs, so unless you have a real problem raising the extra $400 I would consider the D200 worth the extra investment.

I say D200 just because you already have a nice collection of lenses. sparing you from the "Do I go for a nicer body, or a entry level with a lens other than kit" thing. You already have soemthing close to the range of the 17-200, just without VR and probably slower (I don't know the max ap on Nikkor glass)

For the most part your on camera controls are more than sufficient. Once you get the camera set to your preferred work flow and AF set you are good to go. Thom Hogan's guide is worth the read if you want the camera to sit up and do tricks. With a little effort you can even get it to start your dinner and laundry for you. No, really!

mike

Most reactions

Back