TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I shoot a Nikon D90
And I acquired a Nikon D5000
Idealy, I was going to keep it as a back up camera, and maybe for more "risky" photograph taking
But I'm debating on selling it now.

I'm thinking of selling it and using the money towards other needs
Possibly a lens

Would you keep it as a back-up, and use for some more risky shots
Or would you sell it and pocket the cash?

It definitely depends on what you are planning to shoot. If you're doing paid work or work where you are under a contract, it may be a good idea to keep the camera just for backup. Just in case a 1 in 1,000,000 chance problem may happen (which is still possible), you will have something else to shoot with and you will not get into a big mess for breaching the contract. If you don't do that stuff and take photography as a serious hobby, I would just sell it and use the money on other things. Maybe you could use it to go on a photography trip! It doesn't have to be a lens or a piece of equipment. But in the end, it's your camera so you do what you wish to do.

Hope I helped :)

I have a D90 and my son has a D5000.
In my opinion they are too different to use ideally as a back up because the controls are so different between the 2.
I get instantly frustrated with the D5000 because of that.

I would sell the D5000 and save for better glass - if you need that.
If you need a second body - it makes more sense to sell the D5000 and get a used D300 or 300s which is an upgrade from the D90 and is weather sealed for "riskier shots".

My 2 cents

That's a good point sleist makes.

Until recently, I had both the Nikon D3, and the Nikon D300, but both had the same controls, buttons, menu layout, which made switching back and forth between them really easy.

My D5000 not only had different and less controls, but it lacked an easy way to control it and was PAINstaking through the menu's to do anything with it.

I own a D5000 and recently trade it for a D300. Between the 2, definitely I like the D300 more. However, if you are thinking of having a spare for whatever reason, the D5000 is a very good spare.

So, it is all about if you need a spare. Otherwise, obviously you have to keep the D90 between the 2 cameras.

The D90 would be the one to keep, IMHO. However, as others have stated, the D5000 makes for an emergency backup.

Most reactions

Back