What would you get next (mono or 2nd Speed)?

MOREGONE

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright, here is the debate I am essentially having.

I have 3 family shoot coming up that also wants a group photo of 18 people. I currently have an SB600 flash with an umbrella but have a need for, and want to start adding more to my strobist gear. I do not have room at my place to set up a studio so I need to be mobile.

Right now I am weighing the options of adding a speedlight or getting a strobe that works with a battery. Within my budget I have a found a used Interfit 300w strobe with battery on CL, or going with a Yonguo YN560 II or possibly YN565. If I get the 560, Ill be adding the battery pack in the same order. If I go with the 565 I just be using my eneloop for the time being. The strobe seems to have some compromises, 10 second refresh and I am confused if I can use it in conjunction with my SB600 while on Battery. Some users said their Skyport triggers didn't work while on battery and had to buy Interfit triggers for this use, but worked fine when plugged. I have Poverty Wizards and don't want to buy into a new set, and this also doesn't explain how they work in Slave mode when on battery which might be an option still I believe. Strengths of the Strobe are, power output, uses battery, modeling light when on AC. My budget considers needing to buy stand and flash bracket for the speedlight that the Interfit already has.

Which way do you think you would lean in my situation?

Thanks

A 10 second refresh is way slow, is this on battery power? If so and it's the normal 2 seconds on AC then it sounds as though the battery is in need of replacing.

If it's not on battery power then the strobe is in need of repair.

A battery operated monolight is the way to go though, they have far more power (@300 ws) than any flash except maybe an old Metz 60 CT4 (I wouldn't get the 60 CT1 or 2 as they are not easily controllable) I have no experience with sunpack potato mashers though they may have equivalent power. Monolights are also much easier to use with things such as softboxes, barn doors, grids, snoots and other things which attach to a speedring or are otherwise made for them without having to get an adapter.

thanks for the reply

The slow refresh times were only on battery. I read as many reviews online and this was mentioned a few times.

I have made my decision and gone with the Yongnuo YN560 II flash. I would eventually like to get a monolight eventually, I just felt I was looking to get something with too many compromises. Ordered the flash, battery pack, additional batteries, flash holder along with a couple Umbrella Softboxes for less than I was getting the monolight for. Thanks to amazon, I should have them in the next coupe days :)

Most reactions

Back