What would you get?

Ok, well one final stab at this I guess, then I give up. The point I was attempting to make:

Ask 10 guys which they'd rather have, a Lamborghini or a Yugo.. they'll all say Lamborghini.

Ask 10 guys what they'd rather have, a rolex or a casio, again most likely all 10 will say rolex.

Ask 10 guys what they'd rather have, a Leica or a Nikon.. and.. well, your probably going to get about a 50/50 split.

Reason? If your not talking to 10 camera geeks most of them won't recognize the difference in brand name. So if the client here is purchasing the Leica because of the status that will supposedly convey, he's wasting his money completely because unless he's showing off his camera to a bunch of camera geeks, nobody else would know the difference. I guess maybe if he leaves the price tag on it then maybe....

But they're still getting the Lamborghini and the Rolex as a way of showing off.

But they're still getting the Lamborghini and the Rolex as a way of showing off.

And it works because people know the difference between a Lamborghini and a Yugo, the difference between a Rolex and a Casio - so if the intent is to buy for status then they got what they wanted.

Only an extremely small subset of people are going to know the difference between a Leica and a Nikon, and in that subset a fairly reasonable percentage of them would have the reaction, look, the idiot blew all that money on a Leica when he could have gotten better results from a Nikon for less money...

As a result if your buying a Leica for status, it's a waste of money because your not getting the status your paying for - which frankly just makes it silly.

And it works because people know the difference between a Lamborghini and a Yugo, the difference between a Rolex and a Casio - so if the intent is to buy for status then they got what they wanted.

Only an extremely small subset of people are going to know the difference between a Leica and a Nikon, and in that subset a fairly reasonable percentage of them would have the reaction, look, the idiot blew all that money on a Leica when he could have gotten better results from a Nikon for less money...

As a result if your buying a Leica for status, it's a waste of money because your not getting the status your paying for - which makes it just a completely silly waste of money.
To be honest, I'd rather sell him a Sony. We once had a customer open a brand new Leica M and there was cookie crumbs in the box and the serial number was from 2 years ago. There was hell to pay.

To be honest, I'd rather sell him a Sony. We once had a customer open a brand new Leica M and there was cookie crumbs in the box and the serial number was from 2 years ago. There was hell to pay.

Well if the guy has his heart set on Leica so be it.. just seems silly to me personally to blow all that money on a status symbol that conveys zero status.

Well if the guy has his heart set on Leica so be it.. just seems silly to me personally to blow all that money on a status symbol that conveys zero status.
I merely find out what he desires and help him obtain it. How else will I afford that Rolex?

Since I'm now filthy rich, and have all the camera gear I want, I'd buy a mustang to carry it all.

Since I'm now filthy rich, and have all the camera gear I want, I'd buy a mustang to carry it all.
Dude has a long wheelbased supercharged Range Rover that would beat that

Most reactions

Back