Whatcha think? [not a picture of a kid.. lol]

OK
Because you were too lazy to respect either your 'craft' or your subject, you took what might have been a nice picture of a lovely girl and turned it into a plastic looking, stamped-out, garish, over-saturated piece of crap.

deleted

Thank you for clearly marking your photo. I always mark mine but some people just dont return the favor :)

I like the photo, nice background and pose, the lipstick is a tad too much for me though

Thank you for clearly marking your photo. I always mark mine but some people just dont return the favor :)

I like the photo, nice background and pose, the lipstick is a tad too much for me though

Yea, I had no control over her makeup though.. lol

I like the second take that you did where you took down the blur a bit. The first one just seems like its too much. BUT...I think travelers looked a bit too gray...so somewhere inbetween is good.

Just remember, its all subjective..and what really matters is if SHE likes it. Just dont make her look too FAKE...I know I hate having a pimple or blemish, but I would also hate looking like a Barbie doll. :)

And yeah...her lipstick is a bit much...but nothing you could do about that. :)

The more I look at it, the more I like it. The colors are great, nice and shrap, and they look fun and she looks happy. I think you did a great job. Its very natural.

If I may interject here without hijacking Parkerman's thread, I just want to say that, although it got off to a slightly rocky start, Traveler did take the time and trouble to show what a little bit of selective color balancing can do to enhance a portrait and make the skin tone look a bit more realistic.

Parkerman, I think you generally did a nice job on the Portrait. You opened it up for critique, and so you got some comments on what others see in their own opinion as to how it could be improved. If its constructive critique, it makes us think and challenges how we look at things artistically.

Could Traveler have been a little less craggy in his initial remarks? ;) Maybe so. But I always welcome straightforward honest critique on my work from someone who has been around the block a few times. I learned something from Traveler's post, and that is valuable.

And whatever happened months ago on this forum has no relevance to anything in this particular thread. ;) Personal attacks are just bad form.

Again, I apologize Parkerman for hijacking your thread. Overall, a very fine effort, but we all can use some improvement. Thanks for sharing. :)

drew over rulers to mark the edges of the ellipse and then use the elliptical marquee tool to select the face.

reduced saturation by 15% so the face matched the arms and neck a little better

still a little heavy on the magenta but .....

I seem to remember a few months ago, you making a grand exit from this forum because a mod grew tired of your degrading comments and singled you out for them. If memory serves me correct, you were unable to take what you were dishing out and left with your tail between your legs! Now you're back doing the same thing!... amazing! One would think that you might have learned a lesson from that.

If I may interject here without hijacking Parkerman's thread, I just want to say that, although it got off to a slightly rocky start, Traveler did take the time and trouble to show what a little bit of selective color balancing can do to enhance a portrait and make the skin tone look a bit more realistic.

Parkerman, I think you generally did a nice job on the Portrait. You opened it up for critique, and so you got some comments on what others see in their own opinion as to how it could be improved. If its constructive critique, it makes us think and challenges how we look at things artistically.

Could Traveler have been a little less craggy in his initial remarks? ;) Maybe so. But I always welcome straightforward honest critique on my work from someone who has been around the block a few times. I learned something from Traveler's post, and that is valuable.

And whatever happened months ago on this forum has no relevance to anything in this particular thread. ;) Personal attacks are just bad form.

Again, I apologize Parkerman for hijacking your thread. Overall, a very fine effort, but we all can use some improvement. Thanks for sharing. :)

Yea, I understand what you are saying. I have generally tough skin, things don't bother me personally. Neither did this, It was just the uselessness of his posts..that bug me.. well, all except the last one.. It made me realize I prefer the color in the face. Like i said, it signifies life. The one that he did with less color personally makes me feel like she is about to pass out.

Whatever the calibration - or not - of your monitor, Photoshop (or PSP) can give you a good idea of the color balance of your image and how it compares with some standards.

This page linked below is quite informative, giving a PS technique to achieve a good skin color balance. Looking at their examples will also give you an idea if your monitor is well-calibrated.
http://www.smugmug.com/help/skin-tone

OK
Because you were too lazy to respect either your 'craft' or your subject, you took what might have been a nice picture of a lovely girl and turned it into a plastic looking, stamped-out, garish, over-saturated piece of crap.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was officially the harshest thing I've ever seen on this forum.

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway...

The things I see in this pic:

- Looks like it was maybe over-sharpened- look at her arm where there is green around it and you can see a halo.
- Looks like the saturation may be turned up a bit too much.
- Possibly too much contrast?

For me, it just looked like you did all the stuff one would usually do in PS, but just went a hair overboard. No biggie.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it but there are some nice airbrushing techniques out there... I can't find my favorite atm for some reason, but you can always google it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was officially the harshest thing I've ever seen on this forum.

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway...

The things I see in this pic:

- Looks like it was maybe over-sharpened- look at her arm where there is green around it and you can see a halo.
- Looks like the saturation may be turned up a bit too much.
- Possibly too much contrast?

For me, it just looked like you did all the stuff one would usually do in PS, but just went a hair overboard. No biggie.

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it but there are some nice airbrushing techniques out there... I can't find my favorite atm for some reason, but you can always google it.

saturation and contrast are fine to me. I'm on a CRT monitor, so it looks like what i want it to as far as that goes, Plus the chick and her family are the bright/flashy kind.. lol.

Only sharpening done to it would have been the portrait sharpening with lightroom, the preset.. I just clicked it.. hah. Only thing i actually did in photoshop was the skin touch up.

I really appreciate everyone's helpful comments. Whether they're good or bad. I have several other shots of her that i need to get around and process.

I'm on a CRT monitor, so it looks like what i want it to as far as that goes, Plus the chick and her family are the bright/flashy kind.. lol.

If everyone else sees it as over-saturated, it may be that your monitor is uncalibrated. Thus, while it looks fine to you, and may even print well on your printer, it may look over-sat to others.

RE: WB - According to the link above, ideal values for cyan are about half of the magenta values (this applies to WB not saturation), the cyan values on the face are 4 while the magenta values are 38; far from what their examples are.

PS reads the image file directly, not the display so the values it gets are the true ones.

Most reactions

Back