What's a good Canon SLR for film?

colintinto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was planning on having a play with film using an old Minolta 7000 AF, left to me by my grandad, but it wasn't working, and it turns out it will cost £90 to repair. You can get them fully working on eBay, with lenses, for about £30-40, so I reckon it's a waste of time to get it fixed.

I still want to have a play, probably with B&W film, and I've already got a 300D, one non EF-S lens and a Speedlite, so I reckon going for a Canon that can share lenses with my 300D is a good idea.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good Canon SLR, probably second hand, I should look out for? Probably looking to spend £100 at most for the body.

Colin

Canon 300V is the digital rebel's film counterpart/equivalent. Which at a stretch you could get for £100 I think.

I'm currently using a 300V and I find it really comfortable to use. It's well laid out and has a high shutter release button so my hands don't feel cramped.

My main dislike is that you can't manually switch between one-shot and servo focusing. :( Because of this I'll most likely be getting a 50E or maybe even a 33V.

You should be able to find a 50E for well under £100 but I'm not sure about the 33V.

Im not sure about the currency conversion, but my Rebel T2 cost me right at 280$ USD and included the 28-90 lens. For a relatively entry level SLR, I think its great. You can control virtually the entire camera with just one hand, and the controls are really easy to learn. Mine does great with both BW and Color print film. Lots of options and goodies without being overly complex. The AF is fast enough for anything ive tried to do including 50+ mph freight trains (AI servo mode). Im not sure what the equivilant is across the pond but I know there is one. Good luck, happy hunting. If you really want basic, you might find a decent used Canon AE1.

P.S. Dont throw away the old one, youll have money to fix it one day, even if you only keep it for sentimental value, you could use it in a pinch or something else was in the shop.

Most reactions

Back