Whats a good lens for a cannon EOS 400d

DRodgers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shoot with a nikon but found that the new 400d was well suited for my girlfreind it came with a kit lens which is ok for snapshots..

I shoot with a 28-210 most of the time so what would be a good lens for her cannon that she could shoot with me when i go out ( gf in training ;) )

Budget? And for what use/subjects?

EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS
EF-S 10-22 F3.5-4.5
EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS

Budget? And for what use/subjects?

average budget i was thinking of a prime maybe something fast Im pretty sure she will be shooting a variety of subjects.. The boys playing hockey and landscape being the major subjects..

TIA ..

EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS
EF-S 10-22 F3.5-4.5
EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS

dumb question but what does efs stand for?
the kit lens is a 18-55 efs 3.5...
also where is the f stop markings on the lens and can I use old cannon lens?

EF is Canon's designation for their auto focus lenses. EF-S is their designation for their auto focus lenses that are specifically designed for most of their digital SLR cameras (including the digital Rebel series & 20D/30D).

Modern Canon lenses don't have F-stop markings/ring...because the aperture is not manually adjustable (via the lens). Some lenses have distance scales etc....but fewer and fewer of them do.

You can use any Canon AF lens on that camera...so that's anything that starts with EF (since 1988). The older Canon lenses, that start with FD, are not compatible with the AF (EOS) cameras.

Don't forget to consider other brands like Sigma or Tamron etc. They make good lenses for the Canon mount.

I'd personally go for the Nikon D40, It's about the size of the Rebel and you two would be able to exchange lenses with each other. If you were using your 28-210 and she was using the 18-55 she can borrow your 28-210 if she needs reach and you can use her 18-55 if you need to go wide.

Most reactions

Back