What's Ailing Nikon: Thom Hogan Checks In

I always assumed Nikon 1 was a huge disappointment. Seeing as how Nikon as several cameras with top dynamic range and ISO performance, it's weird to see that the Nikon 1 is so much worse (apparently) then the Sony NEX system. I thought Nikon 1 was a failure lol

The NEX system is built on APS-C (DX) sized sensors... a few are the same sensors used in Nikon cameras (D7000 = NEX-5n).

Right, so why didn't Nikon go that route? The Nikon 1 is approx. as big as the Sony NEX, but it has worse performances, almost on par with some compacts according to DXO.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

It's possible that the Nikon 1's feature set was not deemed possible with more pixels. Some of the shooting modes in it are.. computationally expensive.

This is just a guess, though.

I also don't know why it hasn't taken off. I think it's an awesome bit of technology.

Right, so why didn't Nikon go that route? The Nikon 1 is approx. as big as the Sony NEX, but it has worse performances, almost on par with some compacts according to DXO.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

The Canon EOS M update (mirrorless) is rumored to use the same sensor as the new 70D (APS-C)
EOS M Update Information [CR1] « Canon Rumors

Sony has a rumored Full Frame NEX (mirrorless) in the works..
(SR5) Sony sends out invitations for a ?Big? event! Full Frame NEX-9 coming. | sonyalpharumors

Fuji just came out with a lower cost X-series (APS-C Mirrorless) camera..
FUJIFILM X-M1 | X Series | Digital Cameras | Fujifilm USA

Lots of options for larger sensor ILC cameras... Just nothing from Nikon.

You don't need a DSLR to take a good picture... what incentive do people have buying a bulky DSLR other then "A DSLR makes you look Pro"?

I hope I'm not taking this quote out of context. But, are you serious? Do you really think the only reason people have a DSLR is to make them "look Pro"? I think I'm missing the context.

TheLost said:
The Canon EOS M update (mirrorless) is rumored to use the same sensor as the new 70D (APS-C)
EOS M Update Information [CR1] « Canon Rumors.

You mean the Canon EOS M that SUCKS, in terms of autofocusing, and which was recently discounted to around HALF of its original price within one year of introduction, JUST to get the danged things OUT of the warehouses and dealer shelves where they piled up like ugly girls at the junior prom?????? You mean "that" Canon EOS-M? The one Kirk Tuck tried and said "sucked?"...oh, they're putting a new sensor in that? Sweet deal!!!!!!!!

That's the camera system that Canon announced would NOT HAVE one of its new lenses sold anywhere in the USA market
http://petapixel.com/2013/07/14/can...e-for-the-eos-m-will-not-be-coming-to-the-us/

Not only that, Canon will not even SERVICE the lens in the USA market...

When a really influential web blogger and author buys yet another smaller-format digital, like noted smaller-format digital advocate Kirk Tuck did, and then goes on The Online Photographer blog site and says the Canon EOS M "sucked" and he got rid of it...you know that there's a reason the product is on close-out at under $400...

Riiiight. Same story with the Nikon 1...MASSIVE discounts of around 50%, within a year of introduction...

The market for mirrorless cameras, as a whole, has COLLAPSED, world-wide, over the last year, as "buyers", that is to say the people with "money to spend", have determined that...they still want d-slrs...huh....I wonder why Nikon isn't pouring a billion Yen into R&D and tooling so they can rush out yet another line of unwanted, inferior cameras...I mean...Thom sezzzz.....

The CIPA statistics prove the above point; mirrorless sales and shipments have gone in to the toilet. But d-slr sales are up a slight bit, at 102.5% of last year's level...

Huh....

Last edited:
I hope I'm not taking this quote out of context. But, are you serious? Do you really think the only reason people have a DSLR is to make them "look Pro"? I think I'm missing the context.

Nope.. you nailed it... that's what i'm saying. Your average customer at Walmart/BestBuy is manhandling that D3200/D5200 because it looks cool.

is it REALLY because they actually think it makes them look like a PRO? or is it more because they THINK they will instantly take better pictures with them?
i find it hard to believe the average first time DSLR buyer really cares much about looking like a professional, but instead, was told that buying a DSLR will automatically let them take great vacation pictures.

i think its AFTER they buy the camera and all their facebook friends tell them what a great photographer they are, that they start getting delusions of being a pro.

"The CIPA statistics prove the above point; mirrorless sales and shipments have gone in to the toilet. But d-slr sales are up a slight bit, at 102.5% of last year's level..."

Wonder which DSLR price point(s) did the bulk of the lifting? For Nikon, it was DX.

Nope.. you nailed it... that's what i'm saying. Your average customer at Walmart/BestBuy is manhandling that D3200/D5200 because it looks cool.

is it REALLY because they actually think it makes them look like a PRO? or is it more because they THINK they will instantly take better pictures with them?
i find it hard to believe the average first time DSLR buyer really cares much about looking like a professional, but instead, was told that buying a DSLR will automatically let them take great vacation pictures.

i think its AFTER they buy the camera and all their facebook friends tell them what a great photographer they are, that they start getting delusions of being a pro.

Yes to both... The DSLR body 'style' is what people think of when they think high-end-camera. Try this experiment... Offer to take somebody's portrait, but when you go to take the picture set your DSLR down and pick up a Fuji X-system or Sony NEX camera. 9 out of 10 times they'll want you to use the DSLR. They'll judge your photography by the camera you have in your hand not the end result. Same thing goes for weddings... Ask any wedding photographer what the reaction would be if they used a mirrorless camera. I know somebody that uses a Fuji X-pro1 as a 2nd body at weddings and they get bad reactions all the time. people don't like to see the tiny camera...they want the big camera.

another example...

Walk around Disneyland (or Disneyworld... im just close to D-land) and look at everybody hauling around HUGE dslr's. They wouldn't think of using a smaller camera... even though it would be easier to carry and do everything their D3100 w/kit lens will do. They just think they are getting MORE with the DSLR.

*edit* hey.. where did my post i was quoted in go.. seems to be missing :(

"Yes to both... The DSLR body 'style' is what people think of when they think high-end-camera."

Aspirational advertising wins again. Friends who shoot Fuji X-Pro 1 and Sony NEX 7 alongside Nikon FX get chapped by some clients for this. I recall the NEX 7 really raising eyebrows on shoots in 2011.

Form factor is a love/hate affair.

Most reactions

Back