What's going on here?

CodyRisko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have had my Canon Rebel XSI for awhile now, I know how to use it in nearly all the settings, but recently my pictures haven't been as crisp in my opinion. I normally use "manual focus" but sometimes use "auto focus." Here is a picture that doesn't look crisp to me:

Link to Picture
Not a great picture obviously but took this to use as an example.

To make matters worse, I took off my lens to take a look inside and somehow I managed to scratch my mirror in the process, while I know this doesn't affect pictures it's just a minor annoyance. But back to the main subject, it just hasn't been taking as crisp pictures of late. Do you guys see what I am seeing or am I just going crazy? If you have any suggestions please feel free to give them.

Using Canon Rebel XSI, and the standard lens that come with it.

File name: G:\DCIM\202CANON\IMG_1775.JPG
File type: JPEG
File size: 3,104.6 KB
Creation date: 3/7/2012 14:46
Last modification: 3/7/2012 14:46
Make: Canon (Canon Global)
Camera: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
Lens: Canon EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
Software: Firmware Version 1.0.4
Dimension: 4272 x 2848 px (12.2 MP, 3:2)
Focal length: 25 mm (equiv. 41 mm)
Aperture: F10
Exposure time: 1/200"
ISO speed rating: 100/21°
Program: Program AE (Manual)
Metering Mode: Evaluative
White Balance: Daylight
Focus Mode: Off (Manual Focus)
Noise Reduction: Off
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode

Did you shoot this as a JPG or RAW?

If JPG, there's a sharpness adjustment in the picture styles that may've gotten turned down...

The image you linked to does look soft, but not _that_ soft. With that particular lens, it's plausible that an unsharpened photo will look this way.

Are you familiar with how your camera works?

That mirror you scratched is actually only 50% reflective. 50% of the light from the lens gets deflected up to the viewfinder. The 50% of the light that goes on through the mirror gets deflected by a smaller secondary mirror down to the Phase-Detection auto focus module that sits in the bottom of the camera. There is a clear window over the AF module. The image from the lens is split in 2 and the phase of the 2 images is compared to auto focus the camera.

Over time the secondary mirror and the window get dusty/dirty and the AF module doesn't work so good any more.

You have a 12.2mp camera, and post a 6.8mp image. Perhaps you're not shooting at in the Large setting.

It also looks like the jpeg compression leaves a lot to be desired. It is set to the lowest (smallest file size) setting?

Are you familiar with how your camera works?

That mirror you scratched is actually only 50% reflective. 50% of the light from the lens gets deflected up to the viewfinder. The 50% of the light that goes on through the mirror gets deflected by a smaller secondary mirror down to the Phase-Detection auto focus module that sits in the bottom of the camera. There is a clear window over the AF module. The image from the lens is split in 2 and the phase of the 2 images is compared to auto focus the camera.

Over time the secondary mirror and the window get dusty/dirty and the AF module doesn't work so good any more.

What would you suggest doing then, sorry I am semi-new to DSLR's and this is the first time I scratched the mirror (obviously.)

You have a 12.2mp camera, and post a 6.8mp image. Perhaps you're not shooting at in the Large setting.

It also looks like the jpeg compression leaves a lot to be desired. It is set to the lowest (smallest file size) setting?

Where are you seeing that the picture I took is only 6.8 mp?

Where are you seeing that the picture I took is only 6.8 mp?

The one in your link is only 3204 by 2136. 3204 x 2136 = 6,843,744 = ~ 6.8mp.

Oh no, the original picture is 4272 x 2848, the site I uploaded it to must have resized it.

That's still only 9.1 mp.

How would I get it to 12.2 in that case?

I'm getting 12.2

4272 x 2848 = 12,166,656

maybe it's camera shake? show another sample.

Most reactions

Back