What's in a name?

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
Mine's boring, you'll all know its meaning.

• PETER
    Usage: English, German, Scandinavian, Slovene, Biblical
    Pronounced: PEE-tur [key]

Derived from Greek petros meaning "stone". In the New Testament Jesus gave the apostle Simon the name Cephas (meaning "stone" in Aramaic) which was translated Peter in many versions of the Bible (compare Matthew 16:18 and John 1:42). Simon Peter was the most prominent of the apostles during Jesus's ministry and he is considered by some to be the first pope. This name was also borne by Peter the Great, the czar of Russia who defeated Sweden in the Great Northern War in the 18th century.

http://www.behindthename.com/

http://www.babynamesworld.com/name-meanings.html

http://www.makewayforbaby.com/babynames/

http://www.mybirthcare.com/favorites/babynames.asp

WALTER
Usage: English, German, Scandinavian
Pronounced: WAWL-tur (English), VAHL-tur (German)
From a Germanic name meaning "ruler of the army", composed of the elements wald "rule" and heri "army". A famous bearer of this name was Sir Walter Scott, a novelist from Scotland and the author of 'Ivanhoe' and other notable works.

Hmph, none of those had my real name. :irked:
So I had to go with my middle name.

JOHANNA
Usage: German, Scandinavian, Dutch, Hungarian, Finnish
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Name Days
Options: Contribute Information
Latinate feminine form of Johannes (see JOHN)

And under John it said:

English form of Johannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name Ioannes, itself derived from the Hebrew name Yochanan meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". This name owes its consistent popularity to two New Testament characters, both highly revered as saints. The first was John the Baptist, the forerunner of Jesus Christ and a victim of beheading by Herod Antipas. The second was the apostle John, also supposedly the author of the fourth Gospel and Revelation. The name has been borne by 23 popes, as well as kings of England, Hungary, Poland, Portugal and France. It was also borne by the poet John Milton and the philosopher John Locke.

MICHAEL
Usage: English, German, Czech, Biblical
Pronounced: MIE-kul [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Name Days, Websites, Comments
From the Hebrew name Miyka'el which meant "who is like God?". This was the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers. This was also the name of nine Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia. Other more modern bearers of this name include the 19th-century chemist/physicist Michael Faraday and basketball player Michael Jordan.

DANIEL
Usage: English, Jewish, French, German, Scandinavian, Polish, Czech, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Biblical
Pronounced: DAN-yul (English), dan-YEL (French) [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Name Days, Websites
From the Hebrew name Daniyel meaning "God is my judge". Daniel was a Hebrew prophet whose story is told in the Book of Daniel in the Old Testament. He lived during the Jewish captivity in Babylon, where he served in the court of the king, rising to prominence by interpreting the king's dreams. The book also presents Daniel's four visions of the end of the world. Famous bearers of this name include English author Daniel Defoe, Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli, and American frontiersman Daniel Boone.

What's your first name Niki? Don't look at me like that, it may be her nick name or something.

NAME: Corry
ORIGIN: English
MEANING: Variant of Cory meaning variously - From round hill; seething pool; ravine
SEX: Feminine

• Meaning and origin of Niki

Ethnic Origin:
    Greek

Meaning:
    Feminine form of Nicholas.

Popularity Ranking From 1990 - 2003 * :
    Rank for year 1993 is 950

* Rank 1 is the most popular, rank 2 is the next most popular, and so forth.
    Rankings are from the top 1000 most popular names.

Numerology:
    Expression Number 7: People with this name are excellent at analyzing, understanding, and learning. They tend to be mystics, philosophers, scholars, and teachers. Because they live so much in the mind, they tend to be quiet and introspective, and are usually introverts. When presented with issues, they will see the larger picture. Their solitary thoughtfulness and analysis of people and world events may make them seem aloof, and sometimes even melancholy.

NICHOLAS
    Usage: English, French
    Pronounced: NI-ko-las (English), nee-ko-LA (French) [key]
    Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Websites, Comments
    From the Greek name Nikolaos which meant "victory of the people" from Greek nike "victory" and laos "people". Saint Nicholas was a 4th-century bishop from Anatolia who, according to legend, saved the daughters of a poor man from lives of prostitution. He is also known as Santa Claus (from Dutch Sinterklaas), the bringer of Christmas presents. He is the patron saint of children, sailors and merchants, and Greece and Russia. Nicholas was also the name of two czars of Russia and five popes.

ferny said:
What's your first name Niki? Don't look at me like that, it may be her nick name or something.

Huhu, it is so strange name that Im not sure, if I dare to reveal it. :mrgreen:

And I didn't mean to grin to you, I did the face to the sites. :sillysmi:

AARON
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: ER-un [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Name Days, Websites, Comments
From the Hebrew name Aharon which is most likely of unknown Egyptian origin. Other theories claim a Hebrew derivation, and suggest meanings such as "high mountain" or "exalted". In the Old Testament Aaron was the older brother of Moses and the first high priest of the Israelites.

I really like my name. :D And here's why...

Namesakes for Aaron:
Shakespearian Characters: 1 character
Biblical Characters: 1 character
Nobel Prize Winners: 1 chemistry
Saints: 1 saint

Mine's pretty funny. :lol:

AUBREY
Usage: English
Pronounced: AWB-ree [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes
Norman French form of the Germanic name Alberic which meant "elf power", composed of the elements alb "elf" and ric "power". Alberic was the name of the sorcerer king of the elves in Germanic mythology.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back