Whats in your bag?

Tyson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tls-photo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When you set out for a day of photography what do you take with you?

What is on your camera the most (lens?)?

I have a Olympus E-500 with one lens 14x45 I want to get another and I am looking for Ideas.

I also carry a Pentax Optio s40 in my camera bag.

Caps and cloth.

My bag contains:
  1. D70 body
  2. F-801 Body
  3. 18-70mm
  4. 50mm
  5. 70-210mm
  6. 24mm
  7. flash
  8. extra card, cloth, battery, etc..

The 18-70mm and the 50mm are mounted roughly 50/50. Often times, one is on each body. Despite the flexibility of the 18-70, I find 50mm to be such a functional focal length that it sees a great deal of action.

I carry what I think I’ll need for whatever I'm doing. I never walk out of my apartment onto the street with a full bag on my back. If I’m going to be taking images of buildings, chances are I’m not going to need my 80-200, so i leave it behind. If I don't have any film, my FE stays behind. I've taken my tripod into downtown once, because it was night. If I’m going to shoot a sporting event, my 18-35 stays behind.

You see what I mean? If I’m not going to use it, I don’t' bring it. It weighs me down and if I get my gear jacked, I won't loose everything.

Last week it was a Pentax MV with a 50mm f/2 lens. This coming week it will be a Pentax ZX-M with that same lens and perhaps a (linear) polarising filter. If I can stump up the cash, I'll add a yellow filter. It's going to take me a while to save up for a tripod.

Well, it depends. If I bring the full bag, I'll have my D50, 18-70 AF-S, and 70-210 f/4 in it, as well as cleaning supplies, spare battery, and spare memory card. If I'm going to be working indoors I'll throw the 50 f/1.8D in there as well.

But most days I don't bring the full bag and just carry the D50 with one of the zooms (the 18-70 if I expect to need wide-angle, the 70-210 otherwise since I find myself enjoying it more and more) on it and the spare battery in a pocket.

I move things around as well, but have a couple of bags. In spring time or summer I keep a Canon F-1 w/ 70-210 and 50mm in a small backpack in the car all the time. The two larger bags are usually loaded like: Tamrac pro 12- Nikon F4s with 70-210 AF attached and a Nikon F3hp w/35-135 attached. 35-70AF, 50mm 1.8, 300mm 4.5 ed-if, SB-25 Lumiquest 80-20 and ultrasoft diffusers, Sekonic L-398, Second bag Tamrac pro 8 - Nikon F2s w/ 50mm 1.4 attached, Nikon F3 w/ 35-135mm attached. 55mm macro, 50mm 1.8, 200mm f4. A couple of filters, some batteries and Fuji Velvia 100 and Kodak UC 400 in all.

My camera hasn't arrived yet, but I can tell what's will be in it:

- Nikon D50 with a 28-70mm Standard Lens
- 2x 1gb SD-RAM
- Extra battery
- ...and sometimes my cheap ass tripod

And probably some day (maybe when I travel to NYC in march) I will get myself a fisheye lens)

Wow, I really have a full bag. But I guess when you get used to carrying a 4x5 it's not so bad.

Hasselblad 500 CM body
80mm lens
135mm lens
3-A12 backs
90 degree finder
waist level finder
light meter
Sunpak 622
stroboframe
filters include : polarizer, cross-star, diffuser, orange, 85, 80A, infared, red, and vignette
step down rings
film (usually 5-10 rolls unless it is a wedding and then it is 2 bricks)
strap
sync cords
cable release
little P&S digital
lens cleaning solution and paste
micro fiber cleaning cloths (2-1 for camera, 1 for lenses)
canned air
set of jewelers screwdrivers
small needle nose pliers
extra lens caps and dark slides
extra batteries
notepad and pen
business cards

Main main gear is just:

10D w/ vertical grip
85mm/f1.8
50mm/f1.4

Misc:
Memory cards, battery charger, lens cloth, rubber lens shade, etc.

The shoulder bag has enough room for my 22mm-55mm and Lensbaby, so I have them in there, but I almost never use them. I sold the other zooms I had. I also have a couple of tripods (one light, one hefty), but I rarely use those too. I also have a smattering of film cameras that I miss using, but scanning is such a pain, I don't really touch them now except on special occasions.

- 35mm film or digital camera
- cable release
- spare batteries
- usually at least 2 of these lenses:
17-40mm f 4
50mm f 1.4
24-105mm f 4
300mm f 4
- 1.4x Extender
- Close up lens
- selection of filters, usually includes a polariser and 8x, 64x and 1000x neutral density
- speckgrabber
- various things for cleaning
- tripod & ballhead
- sure I forgot some things

If on a big tour, also a Hilleberg tent, Ajungilak sleeping bag, Trangia cooking equipment plus fuel, various clothing, first aid kit, emergency rockets, water purifier, torch, food for up to 10 days, and many more :p

Hey, anyone wants to become my Sherpa? :p

When I'm shooting a show, I typically strip down my kit:

Minolta 5D
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG
Minolta 50mm f/1.4
Sandisk 4gb & 2gb CF cards
Spare battery
Business cards
Ear plugs (don't leave home without them)

If I'm doing a portrait session, I'll typically bring the whole kit and kaboodle, as my main selling point is a complete portable studio.

Minolta 5D
Minolta 500si (backup)
Minolta 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT
Minolta 50mm f/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG
Sigma 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 APO
Minolta 2500 D bounce flash
Lumiquest ProMax diffuser system
Photek collapsible backdrop system
AlienBees B800 strobe
Vagabond portable power system
Wireless radio slave trigger
30"x60" 5-in-1 reflector
Spare batteries
Memory cards
Business cards
Assorted filters, tripods & film

Fortunately, whenever I bring my full kit along, there will invariably be somebody I can ask to be my assistant for the day. Makes carrying everything easier. =o]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back