What's my best work?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to figure out which areas of work are most marketable for me... Portraits... or events/performances? Would also be interesting to know which you think I'm better at doing.

Here's a quick survey if you wouldn't mind sharing your opinion!

Daryll Morgan Photography - My Best Work? Survey

Show the pics.

Agree.. show the pics here, and don't we have a poll option here on this site?

There are too many clicks between this thread and finally seeing your pictures.

who cares? <--- honest question

Show the pics.

I'm not posting pics here. I want my portfolio viewed in its entirety, which The Photo Forum does not support. If you don't feel like viewing my portfolio where it is hosted, or filling out the survey, then don't. This isn't for you.

Show the pics.

I'm not posting pics here. I want my portfolio viewed in its entirety, which The Photo Forum does not support. If you don't feel like viewing my portfolio where it is hosted, or filling out the survey, then don't. This isn't for you.
Sounds good. Thanks.

Who cares if you're better at portraits or events? Market to both; weight the responses of each. If you're better at portraits (or even prefer to shoot them), but events actually pay the bills, then it's a no-brainer to continue focusing your marketing on events.

I've always liked what Lindsay Adler has to say on the topic:

Personal work is personal AND professional growth! - Lindsay Adler Photography Blog

Know this-- you will NOT build a fantastic portfolio only on paid work, especially when you are starting out. You need to go out of your way and shoot the type of images you eventually want to be hired to shoot. Your personal work helps you grow personally (learn more about yourself and abilities) but ALSO professionally.

Think of the ideal job or photo you’d like to have. In most situations it would take you a long time to get to the point where a client would hire you for this type of job. Often many paid jobs are mundane, but pay the bills. If your portfolio doesn’t reflect the creative vision you’d like to have in your work, then people won’t know you have those abilities. To build your portfolio, you must make a consistent effort to shoot the type of work you’d like to be known for.

Today my portfolio is a mix of paid and personal work, though most of my favorite portfolio images are personal. These eye-catching images are what you can ideally use to attract your future clients. These are the images that are often very rewarding. Even today I still shoot about 1/3 of my work as personal projects (not paid). In fact, they often cost me a lot of money if my concept is elaborate.

This is like a chef asking, "Which of the three meals that I prepared tastes better?" Unless one of them is a complete dog's bollocks, it's a matter of personal preference. The work that your passionate about will show through as your best work, simply because that's what you're passionate about. I'm passionate about portraits. There's nothing I love better than working in the studio, but I also enjoy doing event work simply because it's fun and challenging. When I look at my images, I can see that my event work is solid, the right things are in focus, exposure are good, and I'm getting the shots the client needs, but is it outstanding work? Not a chance. Why? Because I don't hold the same passion for it that I do for studio work. It's fun and interesting, but it's not a passion. Likewise weddings. I do them, rarely, but when I do, they're a decent job, but I'm never, ever going to be someone who people are saying, "You HAVE to book John for your wedding!" I'm good with that.

Negativity wont get too far with me.

This thread is for me! LoL. Just offered a tip if you want to use it so be it if not then the post wasnt't for you.

Good luck.

The OP just asked for opinions. What the hell is wrong with that?
Chefs often ask for opinions in taste testing.

With all of them I would go through and make sure just your best shots are there. I liked the Cosplay the best, I think anyone into cosplay could look at that and know right away whether or not they wanted to hire you.

In the events, I would take out the wedding photos as you have another area for those. I wouldn't say that this type of photography is "...a real test of my ability as a photographer." I would probably also take out the sports shots, there is one football shot and it looks dark and is practice and not a game. You might want concert photography separated out into its own area so it is not distracting to someone that needs a photographer for a corporate event (at the concert you are one of many photographers while at the corporate event you are the only one).

The fashion section looks to have the most processing on the photos, there seem to be a lot with full profile (or what I call: nose out past the face; but maybe that is just the fashion side). Again, some of the images look like they were just added in and not as strong as the rest so just keep updating.

To those who were helpful - thank you. I've gotten 19 responses so far to my survey.

By no means do I plan to limit what I do creatively. I just have to figure out which I'm going to market, and how.

dang...
guess that shows you for getting on a photography forum, where you arent exactly a new member, and asking people to look at your website and give a brief opinion on your work....
btw folks, it was THREE TOTAL CLICKS (i do mine in new tabs) to open up both portfolio pages and the very brief survey page. not too much work really to help out an active forum member.

anyways...
I took a looksie and filled out the appropriate response spaces.
very nice work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back