What's the advantage

nthomas33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to some of the photog equipment, and this has been puzzling me since I've started to look at cameras. There are the two basic level zoom lenses the 55-200 and 70-300, and the 70-300 les is $100 less than the 55-200 lens. Why is that? Would there be any advantage to paying the extra money for the 55-200 lens? Or would the other lens be suitable for an amateur

Thanks
Nick

This can be equated to something like cars. Why does a Toyota Camry cost more than a Hyundai Elantra, but less than a Lexus IS?
They basically do the same thing, but the details are different and so the price is different.

Canon currently has three 70-300mm lenses, two 75-300mm lenses and a 100-300mm....ranging in price from $200 to $1600.

Or would the other lens be suitable for an amateur
Either would be suitable for an amateur.

Big Mike said:
This can be equated to something like cars.
Now you're talking my language haha

[QUOTE ="Big Mike"]Canon currently has three 70-300mm lenses, two 75-300mm lenses and a 100-300mm....ranging in price from $200 to $1600.

Either would be suitable for an amateur.[/QUOTE]

I think the one I was thinking of was the 75-300. So basically the difference between that and the 55-200 is the zoom range?

Thanks,
Nick

Just to clarify, are we talking about the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II? Or the old/discontinued 55-200mm USM?

OK, so the obvious difference is that the 70-300mm can zoom to a longer focal length...thus giving you a tighter field of view (more reach). It's not a wide on the low end (55mm vs 70mm), so if your other lens is the 18-55mm, you would have a gap between 55mm and 70mm. Will that be a problem for you? I would suggest that it probably won't be.

They both have about the same maximum aperture range, so that's not an issue.

So if we are talking about the 55-250mm IS, then a big difference is that this one has Image Stabilization while the 75-300mm doesn't. That is a very nice advantage to have, depending on the type of things you're shooting.

Also, EF-S the 55-250mm, is an EF-S lens, meaning that it's only compatible with certain Canon DSLR cameras. Basically anything up to the 7D (won't work with higher models like the 5D or 1D series). The 75-300mm is an EF lens, and will work on all EOS cameras.

I don't remember which one it is now, I'll have to look at it again. I don't think that gap will be an issue either, right now I'm using some old FD zoom lenses (they were free) and the one that I use the most is a 70-210, which I can work with. I'm having some issues with the focus, nothing in the range seems to be in focus, so that's why I'm just going to upgrade to a digital lens. Thanks for the info!

Nick

Most reactions

Back