Whats the Best Digital Camera?

aprillove20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For live action everyday use? For professional use? Why?

5D Mark II in my opinion. Full Frame 20+mp, ISO performance not far off the D700 (but with nearly double the resolution), etc.... I'm a Nikon guy, but right now, Canon has the "best" everyday use camera in my opinion. When the D700's replacement comes out, that may very well change again.

Depends what your priorities are. Do you need top-flight autofocus? Do you need high resolution? Do you need high frame rates or instant responsiveness?

It's a toss up between the 5D Mark II or D700 for professional use; Battery grip recommended. The 5D Mark II does well, and is what I've seen most "professionals" or whatever your definition of a professional is, carries. Almost all of them use battery grips because of the extended shooting time AKA more frames, it balances the weight between a long heavy lens and the camera, it works for people with large hands. The Nikon D700 does very well in very-low-light conditions whereas the 5D Mark II will have issues, especially when you bump the ISO over 1600, you'll notice minute grain, or at least when I tested them both thoroughly before purchasing both. The Canon brand lenses are cheaper than their Nikkor counterparts, but not by much. It's easy to identify a premium Canon lens with its red or green band. The Nikkor lenses quality of glass is relative to its price, essentially.

The 5D Mark II's autofocus is mediocre when compared to the D700 side by side. The current gen's autofocus is based on the Rebel's, but tweaked for higher performance. The D700 has the same autofocus system as the D3, which blows the 1D out of the water, again from testing I've done. The 5D Mark II also tends to choke because of the RAW file size it spits out. But that's if you're shooting insane amounts of pics enough to fill the buffer. But like I said, the difference are minute, and the real thing you'll gain from the Canon, which I believe is fairly important, is the max resolution. And, well, that comes in handy.

With the D700, you're looking at from off the top of my head, 34x50 and with the Canon you'll bet getting about 39x59, I'd say. And those are prints which retain quality, so there won't be pixelation, unless you skimped out on image quality before shooting. Clients will never print it out that big, it's expensive, it's big and weird shaped, waste of ink, etc.

My suggestion is finding a place to rent out both bodies with similar lenses, and then do lots of testing, then purchase. Or you can just buy both. :lol:

Both camera's in-brand flashes will give you about a 1 second delay before being ready using 2900mah or higher batteries. You can up the ante by lowering the power, or running a separate battery pack.

For everyday action use, an advanced digital set on manual is easy to use or pickup a second-hand dSLR off BH or KEH; Make sure to pay attention to their grade scale and purchase accordingly. Both are reputable dealers and I recommend them. They sell more than just camera stuff, and for quality prices, too. :)

5D Mark II in my opinion. Full Frame 20+mp, ISO performance not far off the D700 (but with nearly double the resolution), etc.... I'm a Nikon guy, but right now, Canon has the "best" everyday use camera in my opinion. When the D700's replacement comes out, that may very well change again.

The D700 is rumored to be freshened up in mid-2011 according to NikonRumors.com

Last edited:
Best for what?

If I want to shoot pro night time field sports I use a Nikon D3s. (12.2 MP ISO 102400, 9 fps)

If I want to do pro fashion shoots in a New York studio I use a Nikon D3x. (24.5 MP, ISO 1600, 5 fps)

The best for live action everyday use would be the D3s, IMO.

Obviously few amateurs will be able to afford to buy the best. Most buy what they can afford, camera bodies and lenses.

Best one is the one you pick up every day to get the job needed done.

For high level studio use Red 1 with the medium or large format digital module.

For Sports probably the Canon 21 megapixel Mark II with a good high speed lens.

Nikon D3x for fashion and live action events with celebrities.

Sony A850 for high resolution shots (3350 lines) under good lighting for enlargements and probably the most inexpensive of them all.

skieur

d3s for low light, definately.

Everyday: Fujifilm INSTAX MINI Film Camera
Reason: It comes in pink and blue

Professional: Hasselblad CF-39 MS Multi-shot 39 Megapixels Digital
Reason: It is expensive

:addpics:

The one you've got.

If you're asking which to buy then ask yourself how much time are you really going to spend and how much Hard work are you going to put into photography.

It's OK to dream and it's OK to dream big but if you have to think before you write the check think about how much you will be spending per shot and whether you could do just as well at a lower price point.

Unless it's all about your ego then go float a loan if you need to.

;)

nikon D-90 may be the best ,
but which style is depends on what do you want to do with the camera,
if you are the professor ,you could choose nikon serise ,but if you only
record some family ,it is needless !

But it has a low FPS from what I know and has water problems.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back