What's the best standard zoom EF lens for shooting video?

aliancer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.modelmayhem.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm using 60D, and atm i'm just having 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM

I've been looking at some video review in youtube about the lenses for video, and i think IS is the important part, since i'm doing the video most of the area are in the low light situation without any rig.
I'm trying to avoid EF-S lenses.

Is 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM is the only option?

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

What's your budget? The 24-105 seems perfect, except for the wide end. Sorry to dissapoint you but I'd recommend the EF-S 17-55 f 2.8 for low light situations

I bought EF 28-135 f/3,5-5.6 non-L IS USM, AND IT SUCKS! (sorry for bold word)

I mean, what the: IS noise, Zoom noise, and "loose barrel". the only good thing about this lens is the price ($350) and light to bring. Otherwise, i'm still in love with that 24-105. If you got canon only for video, don't bother 24-70, i'll change the lens too if nikon really "winning" with d800...

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

If the camera is on a tri or mono pod you should be alright. If you can't shoot the video on a tripod then I guess the IS would help but just remember that you are going to lose a few stops of light.

Honestly I'd probably go for the 17-55 2.8 IS as well. The 24-105 is a nice lens, but is a stop slower and isn't any sharper than the 17-55. 17-55 is a nicer range on a crop sensor, and 2.8 is nice in low light. Even though it's EF-S, it's certainly one of the best EF-S lenses available, and will likely hold it's value pretty well if you ever want to sell it.

For video work the most important thing is going to be if the lens is parafocal or not (for a zoom lens at least). That means that as you change the focal length the focus remains in the same place, so that you don't need to re-focus. Unfortunately most DSLR zooms are not parafocal as its never been a big demand feature (constant AF modes generally meant that focusing and zooming were not a problem when done together).

The 24-105mm however is parafocal so as well as giving you the IS it also gives you that constant position focus point. I'm not aware of other parafocal lenses on the market so hunt around and see what you can find out about other potential options

Most reactions

Back