What's the cheapest digital camera you can get?

keller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Lately I've been considering getting a cheap DSLR (I currently have a film SLR, but it'd be nice to take photos which gave immediate feedback).

I'm mainly looking in the Canon range since I have the lens for it, but they all seem to cost over $1K. I'm a tiny bit suspicious of buying secondhand on ebay, considering how sensitive DSLRs are (and I've never used one before).

I know its a long shot, but does anyone know of any very cheap, early models?

Canon:
Digital Rebel XT (D350)
discontinued (used)
Digital Rebel (D300)
10D
20D
D30
D60

I've heard that the Pentax *ist Ds is pretty cheap.

The D50 is Nikon's cheapest DSLR.

how about Olympus e-500?? is it cheap or just right for its price? it has 2 lens kit & 5star out of 5star rating...

B&H sells the Pentax *ist DL outfit for $550.

emo said:
how about Olympus e-500?? is it cheap or just right for its price? it has 2 lens kit & 5star out of 5star rating...
yeah i got that! best value i could find! sure, you pay more, but you get more megapixels than the pentax or D50, a bigger screen than both, and TWO lenses! you can't beat that kind of deal imo. the body is a little bigger than the Pentax and smaller than the D50. so if you thought the pentax was too small or the d50 was too big, this is the happy medium. my only gripe is that the range of lenses isn't that big and are pretty expensive since the 4/3 system hasn't taken off yet. here's an article about the advantages of 4/3: http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ol...242002_pr.html

I know this is a LONG shot, but I don't suppose there are DSLRs that go for lower than $300? Or even...$100? (yeah, its a long shot)

Like, the crappiest, oldest DSLR in existence. So far I've found ones as low as $500, but nothing below.

keller said:
I know this is a LONG shot, but I don't suppose there are DSLRs that go for lower than $300? Or even...$100? (yeah, its a long shot)

Like, the crappiest, oldest DSLR in existence. So far I've found ones as low as $500, but nothing below.
yeah only the most used of the used might get that low. and that might be kinda dangerous. because people won't hesitate to leave out key details about the damage done to the camera. a too-good-to-be-true deal might turn into a cheap nightmare. i highly doubt a camera (even a body) will go below $500 and have good quality. so be careful if you want to go used, people want your MONEY!! lol good luck though :thumbup::thumbup:

keller said:
I know this is a LONG shot, but I don't suppose there are DSLRs that go for lower than $300? Or even...$100?

But think about..... how much have you paid for a decent lens?

You're gonna have a touch time finding anything in that range. Maybe locally you could find someone who bought one thinking they were gonna use it, but now wants to recoup some cash.

Good luck!

Pete

Most reactions

Back