What's the difference between these 2 lenses?

Jakabena

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR Camera. The lens that came with the camera kit (18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S IS type II) had issues and the company I bought the camera from wouldn't fix it even thought it was under warranty. I have been looking to replace the lens with the same one or something very close to it. I found the following:

Canon - EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Standard Zoom lens
Canon - EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Standard Zoom lens

What is the difference between these 2 lenses (other than price)?

I'm a relative newbie :blushing:, so I would appreciate any help!!

Did you try to call canon directly since it is still under warranty

From Canon USA
Overview

Designed for high-quality still image and video capture while being compact and lightweight, the new EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens features the optics, AF and image stabilization necessary for shooting in any number of situations. For brilliant image quality it has one high-precision aspheric lens to reduce chromatic aberration throughout the zoom range. It features optimized lens coatings to ensure exceptional color balance while minimizing ghosting and flare and a 7-blade circular aperture to ensure beautiful, soft backgrounds. For outstanding performance, the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens perfectly complements the Movie Servo AF feature found on select EOS Cameras with a compact six-group zoom system and a new stepping motor and focus mechanism to deliver smooth and quiet continuous AF during movie shooting. Still photography benefits from a high-speed CPU and an optimized AF algorithm. Full-time manual focus is available in AF mode and the front element does not rotate during focus, perfect for use with polarizing filters. Handheld photography is enhanced by the lens' Optical Image Stabilizer system, offering the equivalent of four stops of compensation. Compact and highly versatile, it is the ideal lens to carry anywhere.

Besides some possible general upgrades over the previous version, the STM version has a stepping motor focus system, which is optimized for shooting video (with certain EOS cameras).

Either way, they are both on the low end when it comes to Canon lenses. As a comparison, Canon also has an EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, which is at least 4 times more expensive than either of these ones.

The STM is the new Stepper Motor lens system, which is pretty much SILENT during AF, so that autofocus can be done during video filming on Canon dslrs.

Is there any significant change from the older one to the newer one or are they basically the same? I have no problem spending the little bit extra cash on the newer one, but if it isn't really all that different or improved, probably gonna go with the cheaper one.

If you plan to shoot video and you don't want the AF making a noise that would be heard in the video, then get the STM. If not, you'll probably be just fine with the cheaper version.

I'd suggest that you could probably find a used one for pretty cheap. It's the typical 'kit' lens that comes with most Canon DSLR cameras, so there are a lot of them floating around.

Canon were the ones that made the decision that they wouldn't fix the lens (so the store said).

An 18-55 kit zoom is not worth fixing. Period. They are throwaway lenses, basically.

Thanx all!! I appreciate all the advice :D

Stm focusing is also faster and generally more accurate than standard focusing.

NOT really faster or more accurate than USM focusing though. Just quieter.

. . . The lens that came with the camera kit (18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S IS type II) had issues and the company I bought the camera from wouldn't fix it even thought it was under warranty.
If the issues the lens had were covered by the warranty, Canon would do the repair(s), not the company you bought the T3 kit from.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back