Whats the difference?

graigdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a question for those who know digital cameras. I know photography is just like every other hobby I have when it comes to equipment. The more you pay the better quality you get. So what else is there above my camera. I have a Fuji S7000. Its not a cheap camera, but its not an expensive camera either.

Are more expensive cameras just equiped with more options? It seems like the biggest difference is that there are a wider range in aperature options. More ISO options. Things like that.

It seems as though the top of the line camera are ones like the D10. I guess my question is what sets a D10 appart from a Minolta A1, S7000 and a digital rebel, etc?

The more I get into photography the more I will look into different cameras for different subjects and so on. What is there to look at and what sets them appart?

Well Minolta and Canon have different sensors. With film camera's this isn't a variable because your sensor is the film itself. Furthermore, you are comparing cameras with a fixed lens with a digital SLR that has interchangeable lenses. Obviously the DSLR is going to give you a lot more creative control depending on the lens you use. Sure you can add attachments to fixed lens cameras but that takes away from the quality.

With digital cameras there are only two things that affect the quality of the image. The sensor and the lens.

voodoocat said:
Well Minolta and Canon have different sensors. With film camera's this isn't a variable because your sensor is the film itself. Furthermore, you are comparing cameras with a fixed lens with a digital SLR that has interchangeable lenses. Obviously the DSLR is going to give you a lot more creative control depending on the lens you use. Sure you can add attachments to fixed lens cameras but that takes away from the quality.

With digital cameras there are only two things that affect the quality of the image. The sensor and the lens.

Overall I completely agree with Voodoocat but there's also the conversion software/hardware/firmware in the camera that has an effect on image quality.
From my research on digital cameras it seems to be a search for the camera with the fewest "negatives".
It seems as though all of the digitals have some issue including the higher end models and it's a case of picking your poison.
My pick is the Canon 10D and for reference the niggle with it is that it's tough to get sharp images or so the story goes.

As a generality, the more you spend, the more reliability you get. Better build, better materials, etc.

Will you take better pictures with it? Only the Shadow knows... :lol:

The 10D and Rebel Digital are basically the same camera. The big different between the two is the 10D has the tougher pro body. The Canons also have a larger sensor (22.7 x15.1mm) that both the Fuji and Minolta

10d and rebel are similar, but are very different at the same time.

the only thing is the same is the sensor. They use the same 6.3 megapixel sensor.

The 10d has full white balance control, while the rebel only has 6 presets.

The rebel, only has an automatic light meter, the 10D has three different ways it can sense what exposure is needed.

10d is 3fps and can shoot up to 9 shots in a single burst. Rebel: 2.5 fps and 4 shot burst.

10d also can do mirror lock-up adn is able to set up to 17 custom functions. You can also push the ISO to 3200 on the 10D

the rebel does not have a PC cord socket either.

You are getting a lot more camera for the couple hundred bucks extra.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back