Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
that means, "having the authority to speak on behalf of..."??? I know there's a specific term, but my Google-fu isn't up to scratch today. It's for a model release for a minor, and I want a line in it for the parent/guardian to sign which indicates he has the legal authority to give the permission.

Similar to power of attorney, but it's a term which means the father actually has the legal authority to make a decision on the child's behalf: "I, Bill Jones, being the legal guardian of <Child> and having/being <The legal term I can't think of> grant <The Photographer> the right to photograph and blah, blah, blah...."

There is a word for it. Guardian refers to the person, but there is another word for the right to speak on behalf of an individual.

I'll ask my wife when she comes home.

Ad Litem comes close, but that concerns an appointment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_litem

Last edited:
My next guess was custodian (custodian parent)

I did not find anything directly under "agent" but under Authority I found:

Inherent authority: Authority of an agent arising from the agency relationship

Bearing in mind that Agency is defined as:

A fiduciary relationship created by express or implied contract or by law in which one party (the agent) may act on the behalf of another party (the principle) and bind that party by words or actions

Authority is defined as:

The right or permission to act legally on another's behalf; esp the power of one person to affect another person's legal relations by acts done in accordance with the other's manifestations of assent; the power delegated by a principle to an agent

So, if I am understanding this: a legal guardian is an agent to a minor child, who has the authority to act legally upon his or her behalf.

Obviously, if you are drafting a license or other contract, you are advised to speak with an attorney - not some guy on the internet with a copy of Black's law dictionary.

Thanks Guys! Those aren't ringing any bells, 'though "authority" would certainly work. I might be totally mis-remembering, but from a business-law seminar a while back, it was a term which didn't just apply to parents & children, it might you authorizing your lawyer to speak for you, or one member of a board of directors who has the authority (but that's not the word I'm remembering) to speak on behalf of the group.

FOUND IT!

Agent (2): One who is authorized to act for or in place of another; a representative

More specifically for parental guardians:

general Agent: An agent authorized to transact all the principle's business of a particular kind or particular place &#8226; among common types of general agents are factors, brokers and parents

it was a term which didn't just apply to parents & children

No. Under Authority, Agent and Agency there are dozens of subtypes, most not dealing with parenthood at all.

For example, a Real Estate Agent.

Without looking it up, custody deals with who's legally responsible for the child, who is responsible for providing for the child's basic needs, development, education, healthcare, stuff like that. Agency, as far as I can tell, is really more specifically a contract law thing. Agency can be a part of custody, but it's not the same thing.

Last edited:
FOUND IT!

Agent (2): One who is authorized to act for or in place of another; a representative

More specifically for parental guardians:

general Agent: An agent authorized to transact all the principle's business of a particular kind or particular place &#8226; among common types of general agents are factors, brokers and parents
Excellent... your research assignment for tomorrow will be...

;)

Thanks dude!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back