Whats Wrong here??

nyyfan12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new here, and a very novice photographer. I have a Nikon N65, that I use mostly as a point and shoot. I had big plans to learn how to really use it when I got it, but I never did. I mostly take pics of the kids. I have been very happy with it until recently. All my Christmas pics were grainy , see link. I thought I must have had the camera on the wrong setting, so I shot a new roll, and only HALF of them were like this. Does anyone know what the problem is? Me or the camera??

Thanks

Bernadette

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeFOXDJq3aMXs

grain will come from the speed of film you are using (more grain for faster film less grain for slow film) do you remeber what speed of film you were using? as for half being grainy and the other half not i have no idea the grain should be fairly uniform.

It also looks like the negatives were underexposed. Are the negatives lighter than other negatives you have had done in the past? This will cause the washed out grain look. Check the camera settings. this could also be caused by poor processing where you had them developed.

Eric

I would like to see a grainy picture and one that's not from the same roll of film. As was mentioned check the speed (ISO) of the film you're using. I usually use an ISO of 400 in the color shots I take...

also were u using a flash, and how much available light was in the room and what type of light was it....if like the shades were pulled and no light was coming in and u had some small kitchen light on it would make a difference...even in daylight if the lightings not right some indoor shots can look under exposed like that.....

In total, the more than 50 pics I took since this problem started were in all types of light. Outside, inside during the day, and inside at night in pretty low light but all conditions I have taken photos in before without a problem. The problem seems to occur in all lights. I took a roll of 36, and all were no good. I started a roll of 24, and the first six or so were fine, and the rest of the roll was grainy.

I personally don't think the camera is malfunctioning but, for peace of mind, take it to a real camera store and explain your problem(s) to them. Take some negatives and some pictures too. We're out here in vapor land so it's real difficult to help. Anybody worth their salt should be able to help you in short order. I personally can't think of any setting on your camera that would make your pictures grainy...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back