What's wrong w/ this pic?

iombie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello I love this area and i'm new with HDR but I think the noise is too much in this?

6561079293_625eb15ace_z.jpg

The horizon isn't straight and I'm not a fan of that heavily overcooked HDR treatment that many like. I think I like the composition but I can't get past that heavy oversaturation. I'd crop out the vehicle on the left side though.

Noise is too much because you used too high a Lighting adjustment (Compression). It makes everything even the shadows a mid tone and when you make a shadow a mid tone... it brings with it noise

I would say what is wrong with it is there wasn't enough dynamic range in the scene to even bother with HDR.

I believe you can avoid these noisy artifacts by adding more exposures. Typically when people go out to make HDRs they just do three exposures with ±2 stops and hope that everything is within this latitude. What I would suggest doing is spot metering the lightest area and the darkest area, and then expose every two stops between. You may not actually use all of these steps, but you'll be sure that everything is there.

LIke mentioned above, the horizon really bothers me on this one

how about the anchors on land? why isnt it in the water?

I think there is certainly enough range for this to be an HDR image. Its just not processed right in my opinion. A little too oversaturated. But not that much. I think the main problem is your composition. What exactly is your subject? Id crop the image so the van was gone and take out some of the grass and some of the sky so you end up with a landscape shaped image after the cropping. Ah, its easier to show than to explain.

33cnihh.jpg

This def looks much better, I used photomatix pro with 3 exposures and the subject is the old rust anchor in front on ground with cruise ships in background.

After I finish put these 3 photos together I made it as in grunge style and that what it gave me. I'm newbie so...

I think there is certainly enough range for this to be an HDR image. Its just not processed right in my opinion. A little too oversaturated. But not that much. I think the main problem is your composition. What exactly is your subject? Id crop the image so the van was gone and take out some of the grass and some of the sky so you end up with a landscape shaped image after the cropping. Ah, its easier to show than to explain.

33cnihh.jpg

After I finish put these 3 photos together I made it as in grunge style and that what it gave me. I'm newbie so...

I think, and I am no expert, the reason why it comes out noisy is because it's pushing up data in the captured image in order to make it fit across an extended range of tones in a similar way as if you had pushed the "exposure" slider on an underexposed image in your raw processor. The only difference is that here it's doing it selectively in areas where it's needed.

If your HDR software had good, noiseless information in these regions, it's use it instead. That is why I don't suggest the ±2 stops attitude, but rather to meter what's actually in the scene.

As with anything, HDR requires a degree of skill and to get good results simply shooting ±2 won't always work out well.

Another common mistake is that people use auto ISO, which may bump your ISO when you try exposing under/over, and since you're already using a tripod, there is no reason not to use lower ISOs.

I've re-do this cropped the van out and made some adjustive

6579826259_de913fa03a_b.jpg

Most reactions

Back