What's wrong with my camera?

RockDawg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was playing around with settings on my D40 tonight trying to learn it (I'm a noob to photography). I was just taking random shots of my ceiling and I noticed a red spot (pixel?) in the same location of every shot. I really hope it's just dust or something, but I wouldn't think it would be red if it were. But then again I am totally new to cameras and photography so I wouldn't know for sure. Anyone ever seen this before?

2236125690_292441b1a8_o.jpg

2236125598_2d0ac06154_o.jpg

I'm no expert on that sort of thing, but I think you have a "dead" pixel. I would contact the retailer ASAP and let them know. Hopefully it's covered by warranty because I don't think there's anything you can do otherwise.

It could be a bad pixel, it does happen. If the camera is new, I'd take it back to where I bought it and have it checked under warranty.

Definitely a dead, or dying, pixel. Take it back and insist that they give you a replacement camera on the spot. Otherwise, they'll want to send it in (or make you do it!) for warranty repair, and you'll be without your camera for the next two months!

Unfortunately, although I'm still a noob, the camera was bought for me last May so I don't think I can take it back to Best Buy. This is a bummer since I don't want to be without my camera for 2 months or so.

hmmm...ugh. Well, at least you should have the manufacturer' warranty, they're usually a year.

Another option you might want to consider, although this will cost you, if you don't want to wait for the manufacturer's warranty service, you can check with Best Buy and see if they will sell you their warranty on the camera, then it will be covered and see if they can replace it, but it may not be worth spending $150 or so for the warranty.

I did that with my Gateway laptop though, I broke the headphone jack and they had to replace the motherboard. A new motherboard was more expensive than the extended warranty, so I asked them if I could just buy the warranty and they sold it to me and replaced the motherboard.

Most reactions

Back