What's your favorite interview question?

Not Neve

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've had to interview so many people lately that I'm getting really tired of the same old questions. Do you have a favorite interview question?

I always enjoyed one along the lines of "Describe a major workplace mistake you've made, what you did to correct it, and what you've learned from it."

Its fun to watch people squirm and it gives you a good idea on whether they will be up front with you (i.e. give you a true mistake they made) or try to make themselves look good and possibly hide the truth (i.e. "well, nothing really comes to mind" or "I've been lucky and haven't made any major mistakes").

:D

A favorite interview question...? No. I hate interviewing. It's more just filling the empty space with the same old questions/crap while you try to get the vibe on a person. I may attempt to make them smile, if I like them, to see if we have the same kind of humor, while obtaining the other necessary info.

If I don't like them, I could try what Chase suggested up there to make them squirm a little. Really, I think Chase has a mean streak. :wink: I'd be terrified to have him interview me.

If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be...and why?

snarf!! That's the kind of question that would make me think: I could never work here! :LOL:

Have you asked it, Mike? What's been your best answer???

not sure if this would help or not, my company has like a little sight for managers and it posts some interview questions baised on diffrent topics such as leadership, or team work..here are a couple from the "effective communication" area...

Tell me about a time when listening kept you out of trouble.
Please give me an example of how you successfully negotiated with someone.

Have you ever had to bargain with a peer over resources when the result was win/lose? What happened?

Have you ever drafted a mission statement or values statement? How did you begin the process?

When do you write and when do you handle something face-to-face? Please give examples.

Tell me about a time you had a resistant audience. What did you do? How frequently do you give presentations to large groups? What’s the difference between successful small and large group presentations

hope that helps some...

How can someone judge a person on the basis of a couple of minute's cross questioning? She/he could draw a rough piture of the applicant, but the real mettle of that person would not be proved on the interview day. Armed with a fair knowledge of the subject, one just needs to take a confidence build up class in order to manipulate an interview. I do not find it THE best way to hire a person. But then again, we dont have much options to try on!!

Just thoughts!

How can someone judge a person on the basis of a couple of minute's cross questioning?

You can't. Why do you think we're bitching about it?? :) Have you ever interviewed anyone? I've been on both sides of the desk, and I appreciate it can be nervewracking to be interviewed. But it's not an easy job, and I don't think anyone here has boasted on the speed of their interviewing process. Nor has anyone said anything about cross-questioning - the object is to try to draw that person out, conversationally, over a fair amount of time (20-30 minutes at least).

Even armed with the best questions, good techniques and a fair, open mind - it's still a crap shoot.

snarf!! That's the kind of question that would make me think: I could never work here!

Have you asked it, Mike? What's been your best answer???

No, I've never even been the position to hire someone, but I thought I put in a smart-ass answer anyway. :twisted:

There is always the famed elbow test for hiring women...tell her to put her hands on her shoulders with elbows forward and walk into the wall...if her elbows hit the wall first...she doesn't get the job. :D :wink:

Big Mike said:
There is always the famed elbow test for hiring women...tell her to put her hands on her shoulders with elbows forward and walk into the wall...if her elbows hit the wall first...she doesn't get the job. :D :wink:
:LOL: yesss! I like that one :lmao:

There is always the famed elbow test for hiring women...tell her to put her hands on her shoulders with elbows forward and walk into the wall...if her elbows hit the wall first...she doesn't get the job.

mmmhmmm....Kind of like my own little eye test for the men....if they can string together three consecutive sentences without their eyes *dropping down*, they're hired. Usually I'm just happy with 2 consecutive sentences, but they also have to make sense. It can be so tiresome.

terri said:
Have you ever interviewed anyone?

Nope, and I would not until I have a fairly good knowledge of the person.[/i]

oriecat said:
:confused: How are you going to get a good knowledge of the person, without talking to them? :confused:

Good q. I did not say one should never have a word with the person before hiring him. I was just against the whole idea of picking a person after a barely half an hour discourse!

How much can we know in half or one hour?

Most reactions

Back