What's your focal Length???

HighOutput

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did anyone see the video where photographer Erik Almas talks about what focal length you see? It's basically the focal length of preference when you take a picture. Check it on his blog at around 10:09 min in the video.

Now, we do use everything in our bag, but here is what I noticed... At the cottage this weekend, I brought only my 16-35mm (use 35mm a lot for landscape)and realize that I cropped every picture of people, that I liked. After reviewing most of my pictures in the last year, I noticed that I tend to shoot at 70mm the most (mostly because my favourite lens is a 24-70mm). On my 70-200mm lens, I shoot at 90mm and 200mmm the most. So in photography terms I envision a focal length of about 70-90mm...Might have to start considering an 85mm lens. It's a cool thing, I never even noticed it, until I looked at my picture data in PS Bridge, as it also a searches my specified parameters, even focal lengths.
What's your focal length?

Last edited by a moderator:
On FF, I often find 113mm useful. And around 92mm. And 132mm. Weird. But those are EXIF data numbers that pop up a lot.

I couldn't care less what I shoot with the most. It's a metric that has NO value to me.

And I don't see what value it has to anyone else, either. What good does knowing your most common FL do you? Are you gonna sell all your other glass and shoot just that one FL range?

I went through my Flickr, and found the average focal length. It was 57.3.

Then I went on my 500px page and using the rating system I segmented and averaged the focal length vs rating. Sure enough I found that my highest rated photos were around 22mm. The lowest rated photos were in the 45-55mm range.

I wish we could do it with the entire flick and 500px database. Be interesting to see those stats.

Sorry my data might be skewed as I didn't take into account that some where shot FF and others crop.

I couldn't care less what I shoot with the most. It's a metric that has NO value to me.

And I don't see what value it has to anyone else, either. What good does knowing your most common FL do you? Are you gonna sell all your other glass and shoot just that one FL range?

It's to know if you are wondering what kind of lens you want to try next. I don't sell any of my glass, I just buy new ones. And I agree, if I'm going to shoot a landscape shot, I will still use my 16-35mm. But if you are in the market for a prime, this could help you narrow it down...especially with the cost of lenses. My 2 cents.

A Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 at with 2x Teleconverter at 1000mm f/4

I borrowed this lens from a friend and i wish i had one its my favorite focal length and aperture.

1000mm f/4

Flicked through my entire Lightroom catalog. Here's what I found (in 35mm equiv.):

1. 100mm - 305 photos
  2. 600mm - 230
  3. 50mm (currently, my only prime lens) - 205
  4. 24mm - 179
All other focal length (and narrow ranges) are under 100 photos each.

I'm lusting over the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8, but Lightroom basically tells me to:
  1. Get the Olympus 45mm (90mm equiv.) f/1.8;
  2. Wait for the Olympus 300mm (600mm equiv.) f/4 (it will probably be expensive);
  3. Get an ultra-wide zoom lens (because 12mm (24mm equiv.) is sometimes not wide enough for me).

So I see mostly in telephoto, but also quite a bit wide! :D

"What's your focal Length??? "

I went and checked....it's roughly the length from the sensor to the front lens glass.
;)

On our club shoot tonight I used from 10mm (fish-eye) to 300mm, with a number of lengths in between, (but nothing between 17 & 70 tonight).

Overall I've not done much longer than 1000mm (a few with a telescope, or teleconverters work out longer, but diffraction becomes a problem, so they're not up to much).
(All focal lengths on APS-C)

I have taken a few with a Kaidan-360 too (FOV ~140° high x 360° wide) focal lengths not really relevant there.

All depends on the subject & the effect wanted.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back