What's your focal Length???

"What's your focal Length??? "

I went and checked....it's roughly the length from the sensor to the front lens glass.
;)

But in many cases it's nowhere near this.

My 10mm focal length fish-eye would probably be over 100mm from front of lens to sensor (>45mm to the mounting flange).
My 600mm mirror lens is around 150mm.

These are extreme cases, but it doesn't even hold true for most old SLR 50mm primes (nearer 75mm).
Wide angle lenses typically the measurement is more than the focal length (retro focus design) with the focal length being less than the distance from back of the lens to sensor.
Telephotos are technically lenses that the length is less than the focal length (not all long focal length lens are telephotos)

85. I use that lens all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whichever I choose between 28mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm and 135mm.

I've got a couple focal lengths that I use for certain subjects, 135mm for our son's basketball games for example but generally speaking what ever focal length that gets me the capture I want is my favorite.

i love the 85mm on a FX body.

It depends on what lenses I'm using but it's either 50mm for walk around. Other than that- 85mm-90mm and 125mm-135mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I've been around too long. I use mostly zoom lenses and just whatever focal length fits the shot is what I shoot. Only regular part is that since I try to be as far away as possible and still get the shot, I'm frequently at the end of the zoom.

I like the focal length that gets me my shot.

Most reactions

Back