When a session goes poorly

GPC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! This is my first post here. I'm a family/infant/child photographer.

Today I had my first bad session with a client. It was a newborn session. I described in detail via email to the parents what the session would entail, including that it can be a lengthy session, up to three hours, when you allow for feedings, diaper changes, etc.

I usually have fantastic rapport with clients. Everything felt off as soon as I walked in the door. I'm guessing the parents were tired (as all new parents are) but they were short with me and short with each other. I shot for about 30-35 minutes and then baby wanted to eat and needed a diaper change. The dad picked up the baby and announced that the shoot was over. I told him that I was happy to wait for baby to eat, etc.. Both parents were adamant that the session was over, that surely I had enough photos and then basically said good-bye and left the room.

So, I have no idea what was going for them, but what I do know is I have barely three images that I'm really happy with and only a couple more that I barely pleased with. This is the first time this has happened. I usually have to cut myself off when processing photos at around 30, even though I only guarantee approximately 15.

I'm just not sure how to handle it from here. I'm so bummed. I usually leave sessions elated and can't wait to sit down to start editing. Right now I'm just staring at what little photos I have and cringing. Any advice?

A THREE-HOUR newborn session???

I used to work at a studio where we took seven finished images in as little as 10 minutes. A newborn baby can be photographed fast, if you are prepared, and have a plan. I'm sorry, but a three-hour session is just totally,totally out of the question in terms of expecting that either a baby, or two parents, will put up with that much of an imposition.

30 images for a newborn session??? I think you need to reevaluate a number of things with the way you approach these types of sessions. I do not want to seem like I am being harsh with you, but I am plain-spoken. I have photographed literally well over 1,000 babies and toddlers. Seriously. Your approach is setting you up for feeling like a failure. Make each shot COUNT. Cover your bases FIRST. A newborn doesn't have to be "on", like a teenaged actress...

When the dad tells you the session is over...then it is over, and you have over-shot your welcome...possibly by a significant margin.

Not harsh at all. I appreciate the advice.

I'm not talking about three hours of shooting, but that I might be there for as long as three hours. Its usually more like two. It includes photos of baby alone, with parents or siblings, in birthday suit, dressed, etc and like I said, allows for nursing sessions, diaper changes, positioning, etc.

Okay, so I am happy to rethink my approach, but any advice on what I can do now about the session from today?

Well, process the good pictures you shot today. You did shoot GOOD shots, right? I mean that seriously, no kidding, no sarcasm,no joking: you DID shoot "good shots", right??? I mean you got your bases covered beginning with pose #1, and moving on to pose #2, and pose #3, right?? Process the good shots. Process what you have. If you're approaching studio portraiture properly, you MADE (not took, shot, or snapped, but MADE) some solid, sellable portraits of the baby. Right from the get-go you were shooting for keeps, right?

Again...three HOURS of time, with a newborn and two parents? I just don't understand this. Time for a feeding AND a diaper change??? A nursing session?

You shot for 30 to 35 minutes...a newborn baby cannot stand much more than that. I think perhaps you are greatly over-estimating the length of a welcome people are willing to grant a photographer. Three HOURS??? Even willing, vane, eager, and grown-up "models" can seldom last three full hours...let alone the parents of a newborn baby...

Again, process the good,complete poses that you shot in the 30 to 35 minutes they gave you. I cannot tell you much more than that without seeing/knowing how well you did. But I can tell you one thing: a three-hour newborn/family session is bordering on "unreasonable" in my experience. Just not realistic...

Well timeframe aside you could have walked up right as they were in the middle of a fight and both were still angry while you were there causing short remarks and a quick ending time. It may had nothing to do with you at all.

Okay, you've definitely made it clear (not being sarcastic, just letting you know I hear your thoughts on this).

Honestly though, my sessions are usually really fun. Everyone has a good time. I shoot primarily candids. Sometimes I just hang in the back ground. I get very playful with toddlers and babies. The sessions are in the clients home and I just have a very relaxed approach that has worked very well for me. So, yes, I'll shoot for a bit, mom will nurse and we'll chat, shoot for a bit, "costume change", shoot for a bit, diaper change... Eh, its worked well for me. But today it didn't.

Today, the baby was asleep, but really gassy/working on a poop the whole time. So, she was asleep but wiggling non-stop and scrunched faced the entire time. The photos are good technically, but not a one of them is anything that wows me. I just don't feel good about them.

Well timeframe aside you could have walked up right as they were in the middle of a fight and both were still angry while you were there causing short remarks and a quick ending time. It may had nothing to do with you at all.

This was sort of the vibe I picked up on. But then what do you do?

Okay, say we remove the time factor from the equation. How do you handle a bad shoot, period? I'm guessing its happened to most photographers. This is the first time its happened to me. What do you communicate to the client?

When we got our newborn shots it did take about 3 hours. The twins were 12 days old and definitely on their own schedules. They slept 1 hour, nursed and then were awake for about 1 hour.

Diapers were changed many times. I definitely got grumpy. We were already exhausted before the shoot started.

Our photographer didn't warn us about this, so we did feel that she overstayed her welcome............until we got the pictures that is. Then we were thrilled.

Not sure if this helps at all. But, I'd just give em what you got. Do it quickly, though, because those kids do change so fast and they may want to shoot more once they see what you got.

Good luck

Thanks, Desi. Going back over the photos this evening, they aren't bad at all. I just wish they were better.

I would, but this family asked that I not post images online.

I used to work at a studio where we took seven finished images in as little as 10 minutes. A newborn baby can be photographed fast, if you are prepared, and have a plan. I'm sorry, but a three-hour session is just totally,totally out of the question in terms of expecting that either a baby, or two parents, will put up with that much of an imposition.

30 images for a newborn session??? I think you need to reevaluate a number of things with the way you approach these types of sessions. I do not want to seem like I am being harsh with you, but I am plain-spoken. I have photographed literally well over 1,000 babies and toddlers. Seriously. Your approach is setting you up for feeling like a failure. Make each shot COUNT. Cover your bases FIRST. A newborn doesn't have to be "on", like a teenaged actress...

When the dad tells you the session is over...then it is over, and you have over-shot your welcome...possibly by a significant margin.

Any "lifestyle" newborn photographer will tell you the average session will take around 2-3 hours. Give or take some time depending on the mood of the child. This includes feeding, changing and all that jazz. I am not talking about the posed, cheesy fake backround sessions from Walmart. This is not uncommon at all. If she explained all of this beforehand, then they should have been prepared beforehand. Was there a contract in place with all the details laid out? If not, this will help you with these problems in the future. I give my clients a "What to expect guide" before the session that outlines how the session will go so that there will be no surprises. I would call them at this point and explain to them exactly what you are feeling and see how they would like to proceed.

I would, but this family asked that I not post images online.
:lmao: All newborns look pretty much the same. :lmao:

Plus, my pricing was based on the understanding (written right in the contract) that I could use the images I made for advertising and promotion.

It was OK if anyone was not comfortable with that, they just lost the discount that granting me advertising/promotional rights included, and we amended the rights release portion of the contract.

Any "lifestyle" newborn photographer will tell you the average session will take around 2-3 hours. Give or take some time depending on the mood of the child. This includes feeding, changing and all that jazz. I am not talking about the posed, cheesy fake backround sessions from Walmart. This is not uncommon at all. If she explained all of this beforehand, then they should have been prepared beforehand. Was there a contract in place with all the details laid out? If not, this will help you with these problems in the future. I give my clients a "What to expect guide" before the session that outlines how the session will go so that there will be no surprises. I would call them at this point and explain to them exactly what you are feeling and see how they would like to proceed.

when you say "lifestyle" photographer, what is actually meant by that?
is that like a "natural light photographer"?
or does that just refer to any photographer that doesn't have their own studio?
I am totally confuzzeled by the terminology.

Hello! This is my first post here. I'm a family/infant/child photographer.

Today I had my first bad session with a client. It was a newborn session. I described in detail via email to the parents what the session would entail, including that it can be a lengthy session, up to three hours, when you allow for feedings, diaper changes, etc.

I usually have fantastic rapport with clients. Everything felt off as soon as I walked in the door. I'm guessing the parents were tired (as all new parents are) but they were short with me and short with each other. I shot for about 30-35 minutes and then baby wanted to eat and needed a diaper change. The dad picked up the baby and announced that the shoot was over. I told him that I was happy to wait for baby to eat, etc.. Both parents were adamant that the session was over, that surely I had enough photos and then basically said good-bye and left the room.

So, I have no idea what was going for them, but what I do know is I have barely three images that I'm really happy with and only a couple more that I barely pleased with. This is the first time this has happened. I usually have to cut myself off when processing photos at around 30, even though I only guarantee approximately 15.

I'm just not sure how to handle it from here. I'm so bummed. I usually leave sessions elated and can't wait to sit down to start editing. Right now I'm just staring at what little photos I have and cringing. Any advice?

So, three hours (180 minutes), with an expectation of 15 "guaranteed" decent shots per session. That's one decent shot every 12 minutes of shooting. So, every hour you expect to make just over four decent photos?

The "lifestyle" photo comments from Kathy were amusing...

Snapping away for three hours and filling up 32 gigabytes' worth of CF card space while snapping 700 to 800, or even 1,000 pictures, and managing to eke out a few acceptable frames is entirely the opposite of being able to create imminently saleable photos, one after another, fast and reliably. But that's the difference between having learned on film, where each shots sets you back just shy of half a dollar all together, and being able to impose on people for three hours to be able to scrape together 15 decent images that the photographer is "pleased with".

The original post comments that I put in boldface type highlight some of the main problems i see; the clients were NOT willing to let this session go on,and on,and on. They assumed one thing, and stated that the photographer surely had made enough images. There's a fundamental disconnect here, on multiple levels, as far as expectations of the clients, and the photographer, and what a "professional photographer" is hired to be able to actually do. The session was probably doomed from the get-go. Chalk it up as a learning experience; maybe it could be a good experience to learn from.

Most reactions

Back