When buying used, is it good to check if a camera was used in a non-smoking household?

dreamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Or would the smell of tobacco not get on the camera because it's made of metal body?

Hardus Nameous

Just another FNG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Unless there's smoke residue on the glass I don't think it would make any difference whatsoever. Even if there was residue (most unlikely) just clean it right off like your windshield. To really affect the camera someone would have had to intentionally blow smoke inside the camera for an extended period of time.
I think you'll be fine.

Warhorse

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Or would the smell of tobacco not get on the camera because it's made of metal body?
If you truly fear catching cancer from a camera used by a smoker, I suggest you refrain from purchasing said camera. However, I doubt seriously you would be able to even tell that fact.

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
What if they were smoking pot? :icon_evil:

Then you will be a laid back, Happy photographer.🤣

As mentioned above residual secondhand smoke would possibly remain on the exterior, but should clean off easily. The caveat here would be if there was a zoom lens being used as dust, smoke, etc., can get sucked in as you zoom in and out. A more important consideration might be where the camera was used/stored. Equipment stored in unheated locations subject to temperature changes and high humidity can develope fungus on glass elements inside the lens that can't be cleaned.

cgw

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A seller can tell you anything, that the camera was stored in a clean room at a chip plant--but really lived its life in a pool room/dive bar. This was a problem when cameras were wrapped leather-like material that was odor-absorbent. Polycarbonate, the stuff of modern cameras, isn't. Next?

compur

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
I've been dealing in vintage cameras for nearly 30 years and I can attest that cameras, lenses and other photo gear can most definitely acquire a cigarette smoke odor and wiping or scrubbing the gear only partially handles the problem. Perfumes can also present a similar issue.

cgw

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been dealing in vintage cameras for nearly 30 years and I can attest that cameras, lenses and other photo gear can most definitely acquire a cigarette smoke odor and wiping or scrubbing the gear only partially handles the problem. Perfumes can also present a similar issue.
I've bought used gear for almost as long. I have an old Nikon FE bought 20+ years ago that still smells like an ash tray on a hot day. Same goes for an FM2n that still exudes a whiff of stale scent. My polycarbonate-body Nikons, a couple bought from heavy smokers, are odor-free. Some people just never actually clean or wipe down gear--something you've doubtless encountered dealing old equipment. Agree, though, it's gross.

webestang64

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Out of the thousands of used cameras I have accumulated, collected, sold in the last 40 years I have only had one so bad with cig smoke I chuck it in the trash and it was in a leatherette case like cgw talked about. Most just smell musty.

Strodav

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Bought my D500 body used at a local brick and mortar store and the camera was owned by a smoker. I took a tooth brush and MOISTENED it with a bit of Dawn in water. I brushed all the surfaces careful to avoid cracks, like around the buttons and cleaned the LCD monitor and control panel with lens cleaning solution on a microfiber cloth. It took a couple of washings, but came out great. No odor at all. It is my favorite wildlife camera, especially for birding.

OP
D

dreamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
@Strodav

What makes the D500 your favorite wildlife camera?

Strodav

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
@Strodav

What makes the D500 your favorite wildlife camera?
I have a Z9, which is inherently a much more capable wildlife / birding camera than the D500 and my keeper rate with the Z9 is higher than the D500. However, the D500 with DX sensor size has that 1.5x crop factor over the Z9. I can't see any difference in IQ between the two using my 200-500mm f/5.6 or 600mm f/4G sometimes with 1.4x tele. I know the Z9 shoots at 20fps raw, has IBIS and eye tracking, can even shoot at 60fps in DX jpg mode, 120 fps at 11mp jpg and has an amazing pre-release feature, but there is just something magical about hearing and feeling the D500 mirror flap at 10fps as I get off a sequence of shots. BTW, the Z9's animal eye tracking isn't always reliable, especially with song birds in trees or birds with less contrast around the eye like Bitterns, so you end up using the AF system just like you would the D500 or D850 AF system. The Z9's eye tracking works best when the subject fills a significant portion of the frame and the background is not busy.

So, if I can fill the frame, I tend use the Z9. If I need that extra reach, I use the D500, but I enjoy shooting the D500 more than the Z9. For someone starting out in wildlife / birding, I'd recommend the D500 with 200-500mm f/5.6 and 1.4x tele as the learning curve is much more manageable than the learning curve with the Z9. You really do need to spend a lot of time with the Z9 to get comfortable with it and there is a lot to remember with a much more feature reach menu system.

Most reactions

New Topics