When did you start feeling like you were GOOD?

lexloo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I kind of have a question for you all: When did you actually start to feel like a good photographer? How long did it take you to look back on something and say, "Hey, I did a nice job there?"

I feel like I have my moments where I feel awesome, and then I actually re-evaluate stuff that I've taken and I start feeling awful. (Before I realized that you can't rely on your LCD screen to really tell if you have a good shot) I used to play back my photos and think about how great they were, and then I would see them on my computer and realize all of the exposure problems that they had. But I really don't think I am going to be "good" any time soon. I mean, that's alright with me, because nobody really gets "good" at anything overnight. Things like that take work and time.

I ain't got there yet, so I can't answer.

Some days I feel like Mr awesome photo dude, other days I feel like dog **** mchamfists.

Im no good still, but I certainly felt like I was on my way the first time I saw my work framed and matted on the wall in a 24x36...

I feel like its a roller coaster almost for me. Or maybe a flight of stairs is a better analogy. I feel like I move up a step or two.. plateau for a while.. step back.. get better and then get stuck again. Vicious cycle.

When my final image matched the image I pre-visualized before taking the photograph.

I can't say I've felt really good at photography in general. I've often felt decent enough, and I've certainly gotten the occasional shot that I was really proud of, even if sometimes those shots aren't perfect in a technical sense...

I thought I was good when I was able to get a recognizable image.
And then I realized that was not enough.
I though I was good when my images were well exposed and in focus.
And then I realized that was not good enough.
I though I was good when the composition was balanced, the subject stood out, and the superfluous parts were minimized.
And then I realized that was not good enough.
Now I'm working at capturing a fleeting moment, a spark of emotion, or a unique point of view.
And I realize that I have a very long way to go.

I have a dozen or so pictures that I think are pretty awesome.

I look at them frequently and wonder who possessed me the moment I took them.

never been there and probably will never get there

Stages-of-a-Photographer.png

^Exactly like that.

Good? Or "good enough?"

Feeling like I'm a "good" photographer tends to go in cycles for me. Sometimes, I acknowledge that I'm taking pretty good photos--that's based on MY satisfaction with them and an overall sense of approval from other photographers.
Then one day I'll go out and take pictures, come back, hate them all and decide I'm just a one-armed drunken monkey with a camera. :D

Mostly though, over the past two years, I've grown enough to call myself "decent" at the craft. But I will NEVER be "good enough," though it doesn't keep me from striving to improve.

Maybe next year. :sexywink:

I think I know what I'm doing with a lot of my shots, but I have a long way to go, especially with OCF.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back