When do you guys use your cameras?

lordson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey fellas, I know this is getting tiresome, but I'm getting cold feet and second thoughts about getting an dSLR

$700 is a shotload of money and although its a once in a lifetime deal, i'll never get 40% off a camera and lens pack again,

but I dont know what i'm going to be doing with it. i suppose when i am using it, ill be having a blast, but when do you guys use it?

what made you guys get them in the first place? anybody here in my position where they didn't know much about it and took the plunge

when do you guys use your cameras?

anybody ever regret buying yours and not using it that often and having it collecting dust?

yesterday i was 95% sure i was going to get it, and the 1 week thing has set in

as in, i have a whim, and 1 week later i usually decide not to get it, and it turns out to be a good decision, but sometimes i do get it and it turns out to be a good decision too.

bah, i'm down to 25% sure that i'm going to get it. still have till tuesday to make a decision

The reasons I got my SLR (a Canon 350D) are not exactly noble. I wanted a camera, I'm a gadget head, and I'm not married so no one could tell me "No!". :) Since then, I've really fallen in love with photography (even though I'm not very good). I won't lie: the fact that camera equipment is really neat from a technical perspective is a part of this; but taking pictures is also a lot of fun.

I use my camera whenever I can. This includes the obligatory family events (Christmas, birthdays, etc.), of course. Aside from that, I'm fortunate to have some friends who share my hobby and are at about the same skill level as I am. So we try to go out together and shoot different things. It can be a lot of fun to go shoot a sunrise on the beach and then go out to breakfast and look at each others' pictures (a laptop is pretty essential for this).

I'm really happy I took the DSLR plunge. It's an expensive hobby (made more-so because I'm a gadget head), but it's worth it. I love taking pictures and processing them on my computer and looking at other people's pictures and reading about photography and going out on shoots with friends. It's been a great experience.

I use my camera 4-5 days a week. The reason I don't use it more is I work at night alot and sleep during the day. I take 400+ pictures at anyone time. I went to the park with my kids for 2 hours and took 460 pictures. I went to the lake and took over 1000. I went to a fair and filled up a 2G and a 1G card. I take it to work, I'm in the Army as a Drill SGT I fill up my 2G card every time. I've gone to rodeos and filled it up. And this is just in SEP and OCT. My family bugs me about pictures so I send them CDs full of them and let them pic the ones to print. It's well worth the money.

LOL.

A better question would be when do I NOT use it...

It has become an addiction...nay, an obsession. I can't put it down. Everything
I see I want to take pictures of it. I carry it everywhere, no matter where I
am going. There have been rare occasions I have left it at home and regretted
it because I see something that would have made a perfect photo.

I guess if you're a snapshooter, maybe just stick with a point and shoot? You
can get some really high quality images from one if you give it a shot.

I find that my camera has brought my wife and I closer together. We spend more time together now. We go places every weekend looking for photo opps.

I use my camera 4-5 days a week. The reason I don't use it more is I work at night alot and sleep during the day. I take 400+ pictures at anyone time. I went to the park with my kids for 2 hours and took 460 pictures. I went to the lake and took over 1000. I went to a fair and filled up a 2G and a 1G card. I take it to work, I'm in the Army as a Drill SGT I fill up my 2G card every time. I've gone to rodeos and filled it up. And this is just in SEP and OCT. My family bugs me about pictures so I send them CDs full of them and let them pic the ones to print. It's well worth the money.

Never mind, I guess this was the wrong place to discuss the Army

When do I use it? Every chance I get. Evening walks to vactions and everything in between.

I've brought it into work and when I play. I bring it to my other hobbies (martial arts, car racing, music performances and home videos) and try to mix and migle between them all.

I get great pleasure learning and practicing photography and I know that it will be something that I can do when I am 90 years old and still get tons of fun from.

$700? Yes it is a lot of money, but over time, it will be a drop in the ocean if you really develop this passion. Heck, I have more than that in one lens, and thats not a very good lens either.

You sound as if you are looking to be convinced. In the end, if that is true, this is not for you. You have to want it of yourself... and if you want it, you KNOW the answer to your question already. :)

After re-reading your post a couple more times, I personally do not think you want it enough at this point. If its a whim, don't bother.

My motto in life is... do it once, and do it right, or do not do it at all. I use that motto to live to the maximum everything that I can. Never go 1/2-way about anything. I also never ever ever had even one regret about anything I have ever purchased or decided to persue in my life, photography included.

I usually have a camera on my side everywhere I go. As a former photojournalist it is second nature for me.

Gary

Hi,

To be honest a DSLR isn't for everyone & if you're wondering when you would use it I think you're probably one of these people.

It's always worth considering one of the "bridge" cameras, they can produce some great results for a relatively small amount of cash - they do have limitations though.

I take my DSLR hiking with me all the time & the quality of my photographs has definitely improved since buying it but as I said think carefully before spending your hard-earned cash !!

simon

Although I have a ton of DSLR equipment and lenses sitting around, I still often use my P&S, it takes GREAT pictures (Canon A710 IS).

My recommendation is always to start out with a P&S, even if it is a very cheap one, and see how quickly (or if ever) you outgrow it. You can take some amazing pictures with a $300 SuperZoom 12X camera like the Canon S3.

If you need to move up because your P&S isn't enough camera for you, then you can leave the P&S in the car or stick it in your pocket so you are never without a camera.

If you don't use your $200 P&S, you for SURE won't get your moneys worth out of a DSLR.

I have a Canon 400d digital rebel XTi. I use it probably 5 days a week on a lot of things. I want to learn all I can and practice on anything... especially my children. I love my DSLR.

Well I'm not a Fella...or a guy but anyway.

I got mine to take photos of my children. I didn't know a thing about DSLR. Now that I am learning, I take pictures of allot of things but mostly my kids and horses.

Do you enjoy taking photos? If so, I'd say get it (and skip the P&S unless you really have money to spend to "just" upgrade to a D-SLR). I have times where I'm really "gung-ho" about using my camera and taking photos but there are other times where my mind wanders elsewhere and I'm not all creative and adventurous. In the end, I'm still glad my camera is around at my disposal and I can just go whenever I feel like it. Now, I don't go on an outing without it. I think as time goes on, you'll come to "love" your camera too :) Anyway, good luck!

Most reactions

Back