When does a 'style' become a crutch?

if all you do, is the same theme, over and over and over, and that is all you do. At some point. wouldn't it have to be reguarded as your style? That is all you do. How else would your style be defined? hmmm this conversation is so enlightening I think ill go get a beer out of the fridge.

I always think of style as how a photographer photographs/processes and not necessarily what they photograph/process.

honestly, I really need to qualify my statement a bit....
I have a really hard time with the word "style".
partly because it has no real definition. no real indicators. its like using the word "art".
I dislike words like that because they are often used as a defensive mechanism rather than a mechanism of photographic construction.

I think far too often we place too much intrinsic value on the process (or even perceived process) rather than on the final product.
I personally do not place very much value on how a photo is made, but rather how I feel about the end product. I know I know... that line of thinking
creates a division between in-camera skills and post processing skills, but there really is no clearly defined line where something becomes "art".
there is only what we are looking at, and how we feel about it.

honestly, I really need to qualify my statement a bit....
I have a really hard time with the word "style".
partly because it has no real definition. no real indicators. its like using the word "art".
I dislike words like that because they are often used as a defensive mechanism rather than a mechanism of photographic construction.

I think far too often we place too much intrinsic value on the process (or even perceived process) rather than on the final product.
I personally do not place very much value on how a photo is made, but rather how I feel about the end product. I know I know... that line of thinking
creates a division between in-camera skills and post processing skills, but there really is no clearly defined line where something becomes "art".
there is only what we are looking at, and how we feel about it.

here we go again............................

Like many questions, this one answers itself once stated clearly. We don't need to define style, only understand what the original poster meant by the word here, which is obvious.

What did he mean by "style" and by "crutch" here?

Of course, you dolts would rather argue about stupid things, so I shan't detain you further.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back