When Holga Saved the Day

Dick Sanders

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dicksanders.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are two photos I made with my Holga (120N), and the stories behind them.

Photo #1: My friend's father passed away, a man who had been instrumental in getting a very powerful Holocaust Memorial built in Palm Desert, CA, and I wanted to do something to honor him. The Memorial featured several bronze sculptures depicting real-life events. So, I went there with my Pentax 6x7, but the setting proved to be very difficult to photograph, and I came home with nothing. I returned with my 8x10 pinhole, anxious to try again -- but again, failure. As a last resort (although I shouldn't have thought about her this way) I went back a third time with Holga. At last, I got what I wanted! This photo started out as B&W, and I added the color in PhotoShop. The caption on this sculpture told how this woman clutching her children cried out to the Nazi troops, asking "Why?" They answered by shooting her. I left her hand devoid of color to signify death.

HolocaustMemorial20086x6.jpg

Photo #2: After one of the recent California fires, I observed a large stand of burned trees in the distance while driving on the freeway. Later, I figured out how to access them from another road, but I had to hike in what appeared to be about 2 blocks. Ever hear of a desert mirage? The 2 blocks turned into 4 blocks across the hot desert, and though I drank plenty of water before leaving the car, I took no water with me (mistake) because my camera bag was filled with my Pentax 645, a couple of lenses, and the Holga. When I reached the trees, it smelled bad. And it was hot. In any case, I set to work, and in the viewfinder of the 645 the burned out trees looked really intriguing. I made a number of photos, pleased as punch. Then, anxious to get back to the car and the water, I hurriedly shot a roll in the Holga. When I got home and got everything processed and the proofs printed, I was shocked to see I had no really interesting pics from the pro camera. But Holga saved the day with this one I named Creepy Hollow. Believe me, I didn't want to go back -- it was creepy there!

HolgaCreepyHollowMay20086x6.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.

Thanks for sharing. I have a tree that I have been watching along the 91 since the Freeway Complex Fire, I haven't figured out how to get to it safely, and legally. Fires haunt me.

I've been debating on buying a Holga. I don't know that I could achieve great shots like these though.

Thanks for the compliment. But the beauty of Holga is that she helps you get the great shots. Check these terrific portfolios by Thomas Michael Alleman -- if I recall his method was to use 6 Holgas on any given shot and process them differently -- of course, every Holga is a little different:

photo-eye | Gallery

Also check out this great-looking Holga camera. It's nicer than a Nikon D90!

Freestyle Photographic Supplies - Twi-Lite Zone Holga

Most reactions

Back