When I was done I ate it.

Tony S

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did a food shoot for a lcoal restaurant's menu and web site a while back. When we finished up each dish it was eaten while setting up for the next shot.

Yummm... The Bogey Beef Sandwich. The backdrop on this is an apron with the restaraunt name on it.
378488730.jpg

This was what the set up looked like, AB800 with large soft box as main light, AB800 with grid for some specific fill and highlights, reflector on the right for some general fill. Heavy blanket over the window to eliminate outside light.

378488738.jpg

Yummy! Looks tasty! Nice light! :)

Can you still smoke in restaurants in Washington state? If not, you need to clone out the cigarette in Bogart's mouth :lmao:

I liked the background before reading what it was but I did wonder wtf was that name thing... It seems to be floating there. I guess people who know the restaurant's name won't have that problem.

The white wine is a good choice to go with the color of the apron but a bad choice to go with this kind of meat :)

I think I would have tried it with the name of the restaurant to the left and Bogey more in the middle where you kind of have a hole, between the sandwich and the little porcelain dish.

Otherwise, nice.

The white wine is a good choice to go with the color of the apron but a bad choice to go with this kind of meat :)

Right as usual! A good red would have been much nice with that! :)

I do feel that the salad shot could use less background and more salad.... can't really make out any decent detail in it.

Right as usual! A good red would have been much nice with that! :)

Well, I live in a country where wine is a religion so, even though I don't drink any, except Champagne, I've learned a few things about it :lmao:

Red wine would not have looked good with the apron though.

And I agree with your take on the salad. I also think it would have been better if the plate was placed at the top of the start rather than the bottom so that the bread was mostly against the grey area. As it is, it gets lost in the beige of the star. But composition wise, it would not be as nice as what we are shown.

Maybe shot more straight down with the bread on the other side of the plate?

I don't know.. I have a mixed feeling about this. Seeing a plate of salad on the floor does not look very appetizing to me. Just a bad idea I think. Also the flowers make it even look like more of a headstone... I definitely don't want the salad.

For #1 I feel that someone is trying too hard trying to fit everything in the frame. A little too busy. I personally rather see shallower DOF where the food is mostly focused and everything else is somewhat blurry but you can still identify it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. I can see on the sandwich shot where the picture could have filled the hole, or perhaps I should have re-arranged the logo so it was in that blank spot between the picture and wine glass. As far as the wine, I don't drink wine so it didn't matter to me. I did try the red and it got lost in the corner and made it really dark, so the white worked out better.

lol @ Schwetty... that's not the floor. The restaurant has a theme where the stars are on the tables. If you look in the shot where my set up is you can sort of see the table top but the sandwich setup covers Bogey's star.

Thanks for the comments. I can see on the sandwich shot where the picture could have filled the hole, or perhaps I should have re-arranged the logo so it was in that blank spot between the picture and wine glass. As far as the wine, I don't drink wine so it didn't matter to me. I did try the red and it got lost in the corner and made it really dark, so the white worked out better.

It probably doesn't really matter. I was being funny, more like :)

lol @ Schwetty... that's not the floor. The restaurant has a theme where the stars are on the tables. If you look in the shot where my set up is you can sort of see the table top but the sandwich setup covers Bogey's star.

Very cool idea. I thought LA was quite a ways away for one shot :lmao:

Excellent shots; i especially liked the first two; third is too much organized!!!

Warning: Don't look at food images with full stomach; they won't attract you ;)

Regards :D

Hah. OK.
Well, maybe if people see the tables are like that, it is not as weird.

Most reactions

Back