When people just don't get it

Try being an adoptive parent, being a member of a trans racial family, have a disability...then people REALLY don't give you (and say things faaar worse then "why are you taking a picture of a house").

Yikes, Emerana, ease up a bit. I didn't intent to present this as if it ruined my life. Just to be clear: I do have some perspective.

Thanks for responding,

Jon

Another thought that is springing to mind just now, half on the subject, maybe half on the side ... but I usually take my time and am last to get somewhere and trail behind groups because I want to take photos (also when with friends), and they all know about it by now and pass mild jokes on the topic (the kind I can very, very easily live with) like "Guess who's last AGAIN?" and so on. So that is the "taking-the-photos-side" of things.

Later comes the "showing-the-photos-side" (provided it does come), and then I hear things like: "Have you and I actually been to the same place at the same time? I never even SAW that - or that - or that!" Or "I have seen the same, but I would never have seen it LIKE THAT!"

An even more intense encounter was had with a person who'd visited deceased family members on that one graveyard for decades by now. I'd been on said graveyard twice in my life with the camera (on my own, mind you, so I'd have all the time of the world and no one urging me on) ... and I knew all the headstones and sculptures and could lead the person there and she kept saying "Oh my, I've come here for years and I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT!"

On the other hand, I've also come across people who say "You are not really enjoying a holiday/excursion/outing/whatever when all you do is see it through the viewfinder, or even walk around with an "inbuilt viewfinder". You miss out on so much else." Or those who argue that you'd fare better if you "took a photo into your memory". OK, fair point, their view. But I know my strengths and weaknesses, and my memory is on the weaker part, so I need a "memory crutch". In the form of photos. That - so I hope with each and every one I take, in vain fairly often :( - will be beyond the point and shoot or snapshot range of photography. Which takes up a certain amount of time... which makes others roll their eyes and pass mild jokes - and here we are back to the beginning ;).

I like how you express yourself.

And ignore the disclaimer. I'm being serious. I completely understand and can relate to that. Especially the last paragraph.

But... I *like* walking around with my inbuilt viewfinder!

It's nice and bright, with a split prism AND microprism for manual focus, and none of those tacky AF point indicators.

The 100% coverage is always nice, too.

I do understand how annoying it is when people don't "get" what you are doing. I feel like people want me to hurry up but they also want to see perfect photos. And today our neighbor (older man) got our mail and opened some photos of mine I had ordered thinking they were his wifes. He came over and said "Wow, these are some amazing pictures. Really great! These cameras these days"... I said "it isnt the camera, its just that I am really good". I thought it was kind of funny...

But I was also told by a woman that she "didn't think they were your kids" when I said my kids were adopted. Which REALLY is not being understood, totally putting people thinking I take too long to photograph a weed or a house so not important.

forgot to mention, my best pictures i create when all on my own, when i have all the time and rhythm i want.

forgot to mention, my best pictures i create when all on my own, when i have all the time and rhythm i want.

ain't that the truth -- unfortunately, I have such little of this 'alone' time

Vacation/Family and photography don't mix. If you're on a trip either go alone (make arrangements to break away and meet up later), or go with other photogs, or don't slow up the group (miss many photo opps) or expect to be abused.

That's all there is to it.

Gary

ive had far worse. theres people even more ignorant people out there who say things like "god i can take a photo in the same amount of time that looks exactly the same with this camera"

when they say 'this camera' they take out their canon powershot. to them a good photo is clear and bright and have absolutely no care for cropping etc.

i dont even bother trying to explain anymore :( ive even had people say they were better than me. and that i found pretty insulting seeing as the person who said it was the same person with the powershot. i mean i might not be that good, but coming from someone who has no idea what an f stop is...it gets discouraging.

me, being in highschool, i tell my parents and sister im saving up for a DSLR with my OWN money and they barely even want to let me do that.

Just an update -

I had an opportunity today to show the photos to the folks who were teasing me when I was shooting. Believe it or not, I received compliment after compliment on them: "You need to get some of those enlarged and hang them on the wall", "that one is SO cool", etc.

Yes, even the yellow house.

Made me feel warm and tingly all over. :blushing:

Jon

Vacation/Family and photography don't mix. If you're on a trip either go alone (make arrangements to break away and meet up later), or go with other photogs, or don't slow up the group (miss many photo opps) or expect to be abused.

OH how TRUE!!!!! I used to work 3 days a week only. This left tons of time for photography and family. Even joined a photo club and took classes. It was great....

Now a days, the time just doesn't exist. My wife tries to combine my time behind the camera with family during vacations and such. She tries hard to give me the time and space to shoot... No matter how much I try, it just doesn't work out. Its difficult to enjoy the photography and focus. I don't have the heart to tell her.. she is tryin.

Most reactions

Back