When should I use a circular polarizer ?

lance70

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm leaving tomorrow on vacation and going to pick up a circular polarizer filter for my D90. When I'm in the mountains should I just keep this filter on and take my UV filter off? Thanks.

Do you know what a Circular Polarizer does? If you are in the mountains you can use it for a lake or something to get rid of the reflections, myabe you can try using it as a substitute of a ND filter.

I find many outdoor photos that already have plenty of light will benefit from a cp. Where there is sky and water. Use it when there are reflective things as well.

I used mine when I saw a rainbow and it just made the rainbow pop

I read about them on here and people talk like it's a must have for taking pictures in the mountains but I wasn't sure on how or when to use it. Thanks for the info.

It cuts down reflections from water or glass surface. It make the blue sky more ... blue and the grass ..... more green under certain circumstances.

See here for more examples

Last edited:
It cuts down reflections from water or glass surface. It make the blue in the sky more ... blue and the grass ..... more green under certain circumstances.

See here for more examples

wow that makes a huge difference, never realized a filter could do so much, thanks.

BTW, if you have a UV filter on your lens already, try not to stack CPL together with the UV. Or in general, try to avoid filters stacking. It may produce vignetting on all your photos.

BTW, if you have a UV filter on your lens already, try not to stack CPL together with the UV. Or in general, try to avoid filters stacking. It may produce vignetting on all your photos.

Great, I was going to ask that too, thanks!

Most reactions

Back