When transfers go wrong...

oriecat

work in progress
Reaction score
Website
www.moltenwords.net
It can still turn out kinda cool....

transfer1.jpg

I learned not to use that paper if I'm doing it wet. It started to fall apart on me. I am not sure what I did, I think I rolled it the opposite direction from how I normally do, so I ended up pushing the chemicals back through, or something. I kinda like it though. It almost looks like an asian calligraphy painting.

This one didn't come out too bad....

transfer2.jpg

This paper works really well in the water and gives a nice texture. The mountain was really thick and dark, so I rubbed a lot of it off and it turned purple. It was more purple before it dried.

I absolutely would be happy with that top one! :D You can always say you sandwiched a couple of slides together to go for that abstract look. I think it looks fab!

And I can only see half of the second one....what happened?? :cry:

So you used artist's watercolor paper on the second, but not the first?

Well that was weird. My internet has been out of whack all week, so I think it didn't upload right. Trying again.

I didn't get any actual watercolor paper, I just got a couple different thick artists papers to try out.

Yay, there it is! Hey, I like that shot - great transfer idea! :D You do end up with some crazy colors sometimes, but it's fun to play with them and test it. I think it looks great, and cleanly lifted, as well. Hooray!

The second paper looks like cold-pressed watercolor paper, it has a similar texture and stands up to water.

Hey, did you try a vinegar bath? It might really enhance that mountain shot. Not always necessary, but I usually do it now.

I didn't have any vinegar, but I will try to pick some up...

I also tried some emulsion lifts last night, but had no luck. The only dry prints I had were from the 12 year old pack of film the lady gave me with the printer, so I don't know if it was too old to lift or I just wasn't doing it right, but I couldn't get it to come off. Maybe my water wasn't hot enough? I don't have a thermom that goes up to 160 so I didn't know how hot it was. It was over 130 though. I will try again tomorrow with a print from the new film I just got.

Thanks for your thoughts, Terri! :D

Ohh how I want my camera. Can you lot stop posting so many good things so I don't get too sad? :(

:mrgreen:

I like the second one. And if you rotate the first it looks like you've got a picture of some tree trunks and a pond. :)

Looks great! I agree that the first one looks like an asian calligraphy painting.

terri: you mentioned a vinegar bath for image transfers. at what point do you use vinegar? this is probably in one of my image transfer books that I need to read. :lol:

Ambrosia said:
Looks great! I agree that the first one looks like an asian calligraphy painting.

terri: you mentioned a vinegar bath for image transfers. at what point do you use vinegar? this is probably in one of my image transfer books that I need to read. :lol:

I always wait until my image transfer has dried down before I do a vinegar bath. Generally speaking you put 1 part of white distilled vinegar to 4 parts water (room temp) for about a minute or so. The point is not only to help clarify and brighten colors but also return the ph balance to normal, since it gets interrupted when the pos/neg is prematurely separated, and this can have an effect on stability of the print over time. Hope this helps! :D

Most reactions

Back