When?

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When did you start calling yourself a "photographer"? I have been shooting a month, so I call myself a picture taker :)

It depends who I'm talking to whether I do or not. But I'll be honest with you...I'm not a photographer really...I'm workin on it, though.

i prefer to call myself an artist, I dont make any money with photos and photographer seems a bit professional for what i like to do.

At this point in my evolution, I am an enthusiastic amateur "something"... lol.
Camera buff? Maybe.
Photographer? Not quite earned that yet, IMHO.

I have lots of time to earn that in my own eyes, though. No rush. It is only a word... and words tend to want to classify. I have no desire to classify my status in this hobby any deeper at this moment than perhaps "a seeker of the pleasures in learning photography" for now.

When you are a) making money, b) everyone calls you a photographer, c) you have the urge to join some social title to gain a sense of self awareness even though you're still just a picture taker.

When did you start calling yourself a "photographer"?

Never did. Never will.
Others did, though, even in the newspaper, but those weren't my words!

"I like to take photos" is my way of putting it.

I think I've earned to call my self a photographer, come on people. A good one? Not really. Pro? Definitely NOT.

But I don't think the term "photographer" means professional or good by any means, now days at least.

calling yourself a photographer is one thing. calling yourself a professional photographer is quite another.

i have always called myself a photographer, even when i first started. when i talk to other people about my VERY EXPEN$IVE passion, i say i am learning to be a good photographer. when i speak to fellow photographers i say that i am learning to see.

if you were playing drums (good or not) you would still be a drummer.

Interesting question. I'm a photographer. I make photographs for a living. It's my "day job." I can't remember when it was that I first felt comfortable with the title.

On weekends, I work as a music director at church. I plan all the selections, rehearse the choir and other instrumentalists, play at least three services every week, and I am compensated. I've been doing this for more then 10 years, but I'm REALLY reluctant to call myself a musician. I will occasionally own up to being a novice musician.

I suspect it's different for each of us. I think it has something to do with self-image. I suppose once I felt competent to take on photography jobs and feel confident that I could CONSITANTLY deliver good results... that's when I felt I was a photographer. I consider myself a portrait photographer and a commercial photographer (product and industrial work with some architecture). I would bow out of any fashion work and some photojournalism.

Interesting to think about.

-Pete

When I started taking pride in my work.

I've evolved into calling myself a "serious amateur photographer" if someone seems to be asking about me level of ability. In general though I just take pics to decorate my house so I don't sweat it too much.

I think of a photographer as someone who does this for a living. I do it because I have a passion for it as with many of my other hobbies, but I don't think this makes me a photographer.

I think I will go with "weekend warrior".........

I have the interest level of a "Professional Photographer"
In dollars enough equipment to be an "Amateur photographer"
The camera in my hand enough to be "a little obsessed"
and the knowledge to be just a "snap shot artist" getting much better.

Titles are really Society driven

Freedbaby

Most reactions

Back