Where can I buy a new quarter?

phnoob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to buy a new (uncirculated/unused) quarter. The reason being that I want to use it as a scale of reference in macro photography photos, so it needs to be brand new and not have scratches all over it.

I asked my bank, but they said that the minimum order for new quarters from the mint is $500.

Where can I buy a couple of new quarters?

Surely you can get one or two rolls of quarters from a decent bank that doesn't dick its customers around like your bank apparently did when you made your first inquiry.

There must be plenty of 'collectable edition' coins available. Around here, any post office outlet has them.

Surely you can get one or two rolls of quarters from a decent bank that doesn't dick its customers around like your bank apparently did when you made your first inquiry.

I actually did buy a roll of used quarters after I learned I couldn't buy/order new ones, but out of a $10 roll there was only one that wasn't mutilated, and it still has a considerable amount of scratching on it. Maybe buying a bunch of rolls and looking through all of them is my only option..

Change banks (to a real bank) and they'll hand you a brand new quarter for your business

Can't you just take an old one and put it in a jar of coca-cola to clean up ;)

Just cycling your money and using cash more often should net you a decent one in time - failing that a coin collector one shouldn't cost you much. Heck you could just be really nice and ask at the bank for a clean coin - chances are the person serving you with the "you need $500 for a new one" was just giving you the official answer for how to get perfect new coins without fail - I'm sure a Bank must have change in good condition somewhere in their tills (try going on a monday morning or other low buisness time when they are less busy and thus more inclined to help - or heck just ask around a few shops.

Poke around the Shop Online link where ceejtank pointed. The Mint sells little sets of uncirc. coins for reasonable-ish amount of money (3 quarters for ten bucks, I see, for instance).

I looked on the US Mint website and found the three quarters for $10 deal (+ $5 shipping), but it suddenly dawned on me that someone might be selling quarters on ebay. Sure enough, there's a guy selling uncirculated quarters for $1 a piece. I bought two :)

Thanks for your advice, guys!

I was going to suggest a flea market. There's almost always somebody at a flea market selling uncirculated collector's edition quarters for collectors.

If you want to be really slick get a proof quarter from a coin shop.

Most reactions

Back