Where can I buy a Nikon D40?

yume

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm trying to look for a Nikon D40 online, but it seems that everywhere has sold out. I can get it in a brick and mortar store, but I don't want to pay tax. I live in US.

Please let me know if you know of a reliable online retailer that is selling it for a decent price. Thanks!

p.s. Please don't start the debate of getting a D50 instead of a D40 again. D40 is a lot lighter, that is the key differentiator to me.

Welcome to the forum.

B&H and Adorama (there are links to both, on this forum)...are the two biggest and 'best' places to order from. They will give you fair prices and good service.

If you search for the lowest price...you will end up with a bunch of shady 'bait & switch' scams...so I don't recommend that.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but Amazon.com doesn't actually sell anything directly anymore...besides books, DVDs, CDs etc. They are just a big portal for other sellers to advertise on. I don't know if Amazon has some sort of responsibility for the credibility of the store/web sites that they represent....I've seen & heard of some very shady 'stores' selling their wares on Amazon. I looked into a few and they were showing up with the same reputation as those 'bait & switch' stores...which leads me to believe that shopping on Amazon, isn't what it used to be.

I'd stick with B&H or Adorama...or a local store.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but Amazon.com doesn't actually sell anything directly anymore...besides books, DVDs, CDs etc. They are just a big portal for other sellers...

I think you're right, Mike. I've made many purchases on Amazon and have had nothing but really good luck. But I do admit, I've never bought anything like a camera there.

Pete

That's odd, I've often bought from Amazon and while some products are identified as being sold by other companies, most products are listed as being dispatched and sold by Amazon.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but Amazon.com doesn't actually sell anything directly anymore...besides books, DVDs, CDs etc. They are just a big portal for other sellers to advertise on. I don't know if Amazon has some sort of responsibility for the credibility of the store/web sites that they represent....I've seen & heard of some very shady 'stores' selling their wares on Amazon. I looked into a few and they were showing up with the same reputation as those 'bait & switch' stores...which leads me to believe that shopping on Amazon, isn't what it used to be.

I'd stick with B&H or Adorama...or a local store.
Adorama is the camera partner for Amazon.

Beware, they have a very good inventory, but it is virtually impossible to do a return if you buy through Amazon. It takes them months to process. If you're going to buy from them, you may as well go straight to Adorama.com,

It sounds like Amazon in the UK is run quite differently from in the US... most of the products on Amazon.co.uk are still listed as sold and shipped by Amazon (though some are not and are identified as such like on the US site), and I've found the customer service very good - I received an SD card box ripped and without the fairly expensive card in it; this could have happened at Amazon's premises or in the postal service but when I called they didn't question it and immediately sent me a replacement. I only ever returned one item and the money was back in my account pretty soon.

By the way in addition to Adorama, I can also see photo products sold by Calumet, Ritz and various other companies on Amazon US. Seems more like a search engine than a retailer.

Most reactions

Back