Where can I clean up my Rolleiflex TLR Lens in New York City?

tedyu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a Rolleiflex TLR camera, but I I discovered some mold, fungus on the lens surface when I press the B shutter. :grumpy:
The mold, fungus may be in the back lens element. Where can I clean up my Rolleiflex TLR Lens in New York City? And how much of the cleaning fee?
Thanks!

Tedyu, you are in luck, as the rear element is extremely simple to remove and clean yourself. Please do not be afraid - you can do it yourself. Please open the back cover and look inside. You will see a threaded ring holding this rear lens element. This ring will have two slots at the diametrically opposite ends. Use a divider - found in any school going child's instrument box - costs $2 or so. Ensure the tips of the divider fit snugly in the slot. Hold the divider firmly and turn it anti-clockwise - do not push the divider legs in, while turning. The ring will screw out and you can remove the lens - note down the meniscus on the lens surface, as it has to go back the same way. Clean the lens with some rectified spirit - available at a chemist for $0.50 - also look up the net on cleaning fungus. I recommend you put a drop of WD40 using a tooth pick, between the ring thread and body of the lens tube. This will help in easy turning and removal of the ring holding the lens.

If it's bad I would recommend John Van Stelten.

But it is not in New York. :lol:

Yes, I know that. I still recommend John if you have a bad case of fungus. It is very likely that if you take your Rolleiflex in to a repair shop in NYC they will send it to John, and charge you more than if you had sent it yourself. Get the picture? But why not try fixing it yourself - you don't have much to lose.

If it's bad I would recommend John Van Stelten.

But it is not in New York. :lol:

Yes, I know that. I still recommend John if you have a bad case of fungus. It is very likely that if you take your Rolleiflex in to a repair shop in NYC they will send it to John, and charge you more than if you had sent it yourself. Get the picture? But why not try fixing it yourself - you don't have much to lose.

I agree you, I will try fix it myself ^_^", but I will buy some tools for fixing.....
Thanks a lot!

I fixed it yesterday. I did it myself. :lol:
I removed the front element of lens, because I can't removed the rear element. Then I held on the B shutter and cleaned up the fungus on the rear element of lens.
After I opened and cleaned up the viewfinder.

DSCF7782a.jpg

DSCF7787a.jpg

DSCF7788a.jpg

DSCF7790a.jpg

DSCF7791a.jpg

DSCF7793a.jpg

DSCF7792a.jpg

DSCF7794a.jpg

MyRollei.jpg

I fixed it yesterday. I did it myself. :lol:
I removed the front element of lens, because I can't removed the rear element. Then I held on the B shutter and cleaned up the fungus on the rear element of lens.

Hello!

Congratulations! Good job! I had the same problems. Could you tell me how to remove the front element of lens? Please help me!

Looks like it was possible to clean the lens from fungus. I have found a rolleiflex 2.8c for sale but it has fungus. The starting price is $220
What do you think?
Can it be cleaned?
$27091_1.jpg
I don't want to spend to much on a camera and thought that if i can fix it it's a good deal + 2.8c should have a nice bouquet

Most reactions

New Topics

Back