Where do I begin?

rodman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I want to start getting into using an external flash. I am looking to buy an SB600 for my D40.

I want to know where I should start learning on how to use an external flash?

I'm seeing some of the photos done and I'm blown away!

I'm seeing stuff like bouncing light .... shooting through an umbrella, etc. And I am lost.

Using the flash on the camera you can bounce the light and it can greatly improve your flash photos. I'd start there.

The next step, and it's a big one, would be to get the flash off the camera. For more info on that, start HERE

Thanks for the quick response Mike!

:thumbup:

Now here is a stoopid question. When they say off camera, that means literally OFF the camera? or does that mean a flash other than your built in flash?

literally off camera. They have cables (what I have) and wireless trasmitters to get your camera off flash. Wireless is better since it gives you more freedom on what you can do with your flash. My cable is only 3 ft long.

I have a relevant question: I heard that the Canon XS has a non-removable flash.

If this is true, would I be able to use an off-camera flash?

I have a relevant question: I heard that the Canon XS has a non-removable flash.

If this is true, would I be able to use an off-camera flash?

well yes, it has a built in flash which is non-removable. as far as off camera lighting goes people use either speedlights (such as the 430 or 580 flashes) or studio strobes and sync them either wireless triggers or with cables as jaszek stated above

I wish the pop up flash was removable lol. Wee you can remove it ut then your camera will look weird with cables sticking out and you can't put back on if that's what you want.

The Strobist info is incredible!

I can't wait to give some of that stuff a try!

I am debating on going with the PC cable or the cheap Wireless Trigger on Ebay. Has anyone tried those? Since I'm just starting I don't think I want to spend the $300 or so for the Pocket Wizard.

goodoneian .... I added you as a contact on Flickr. Some of your photos is what got me goin' this direction!

buttrock.gif
buttrock.gif

The Strobist info is incredible!

I can't wait to give some of that stuff a try!

I am debating on going with the PC cable or the cheap Wireless Trigger on Ebay. Has anyone tried those? Since I'm just starting I don't think I want to spend the $300 or so for the Pocket Wizard.

goodoneian .... I added you as a contact on Flickr. Some of your photos is what got me goin' this direction!

buttrock.gif
buttrock.gif

One thing that should be mentioned when showing some one the Strobist 101 link is that it was posted in March of 2006. There's so many more options now. You can get a reliable transmitter and receiver from www.alienbees.com for about $110 or so.

There's a lot more options on the market since the tutorial was made.

When people say ....

or

What does that mean? The off camera flash is to the left of the camera?

Yes.

also,

www.lighting-essentials.com
www.zarias.com

Two more blogs that deal with off camera lighting on the cheap for the most part.

Don Giannatti from Lighting Essentials does workshops. He is amazing and it's definitely worth it if you have the money.

Yea Jerry can get the to fire from 300 feet (or meters? I forgot) away.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back