Where do I develop B&W film in Utah?

xxx_jpk_xxx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking for a place that develops traditional black & white film in Utah (not C-41 process). I live in the Taylorsville/West Jordan area, so a place that's somewhere close to that would be nice, but I also have no problem with driving to downtown SLC or Sandy. I've tried finding places on my own, and so far the only places that I can really find are Inkley's and Nichols (and Inkley's is WAY too expensive, where Nichols is 5 bucks per roll). So far it looks like Nichols is my best (and only) choice, but hopefully there's a place closer to me.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you! :)

Walmart has a send out service for Black and White, but its right around $5-6 a roll and takes up to 14 days. If that Nichols place is close by and does a decent job, i would go there instead.

Walmart has a send out service for Black and White, but its right around $5-6 a roll and takes up to 14 days. If that Nichols place is close by and does a decent job, i would go there instead.

Nichols does a great job. My friend refuses to develop and print his film anywhere else.

And Mike_E, I actually looked into buying some dark room equipment, but it's just a little too pricey for my budget. I may start saving up for it, though. It sounds like a really useful thing to have around, especially with how much I photograph.

All you need is a developing tank and a thermometer then scrounge around for a few jugs and you're in business.

$50 tops and you're developing in your bathroom.

Gary

I've got that and the chemicals picked out, but it comes to about $110. If anyone can reccomend me some equipment that's pretty cheap and just the basics, I'd appreciate it. I'll probably buy a two-roll tank so I can be a little more efficient with my time, so I can't cut corners on that.

I've got that and the chemicals picked out, but it comes to about $110. If anyone can reccomend me some equipment that's pretty cheap and just the basics, I'd appreciate it. I'll probably buy a two-roll tank so I can be a little more efficient with my time, so I can't cut corners on that.

What comes to $110? A two reel tank gotta be artound 30-35 (plastic tanks run around 20) and a decent thermometer ... say 10-15.

There's the chemicals, for one. Those total up pretty high. And a film retriever. Here, I'll list what I found:

Developer

Stop Bath

Fixer

Wetting Agent

Film Retriever

Measuring Jug (I would never measure chemicals in my cookware)

Thermometer

Two Reel Tank

I was able to bring the price down to about $90 by only including these things, but I don't think I could narrow down any more and I don't know where else to purchase these materials for cheap.

Developer
Don't buy pre-mixed developer.

Buy dry - to make 1 gal Kodak D-76 $6.09
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php?rfnc=301

Stop Bath
Don't need stop ... just rinse two or three times

Fixer
To make 1 gal Kodak Fixer $5.79
Kodak Fixer Powder To Make 1 Gallon | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Wetting Agent
16oz $6.65
Kentmere Kentflo 200 Wetting Agent - 16 ounce | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

Film Retriever
Dude, you don't need a film retriever. Either use a can opener, or what we used to do is just rip open the cassette with your bare hands (not all that hard, start by wedging your thumb into the film slot and then pry/peel the cassette back. Leave the open film cassettes laying around so the next person to to see them all ripped up will thing you're a stud.)

Measuring Jug (I would never measure chemicals in my cookware)

Just rinse it out ... no big deal ... it not like developer and fixer are radioactive spider venom ... just do it. Okay, then go down to the thrift/second hand shoppe and pick up a measuring cup for 50 cents, that will be all that you need.

Thermometer
Six Inch $3.99
Legacy Pro 6 inch Glass Thermometer | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

I get $23.02 for all the chemicals and misc. hardware to start. Just make sure you rinse out the film extremely well after the fix cause you don't have any money allocated for a hypo clearing agent.

One SS developing tank $23.99
Arista Stainless Steel 16 oz. Film Developing Tank (PVC top) and two 35mm x 36 exp. reels | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

This is the best tank for developing because it uses the least amount of developer and fixer. Problem is that you will lose a few frames everytime you develop until you get the knack of rolling the film on the reel ...

Let's see:
chemicals and hardware $23.02
SS tank 23.99

Total $47.01 and you are developing film (Plus shipping)

Remember to always hang the film in the shower to dry. The shower is the most dust free area in the house.

Gary

PS- Freestyle may not be the cheapest ... but it is where I used to shop when I was into film. Adora prices ... while appearing cheaper is only for quart size quantities.
G

Wow. Thank you SO much, Gary. You know, I think I'm actually going to go through with it and buy everything. I know it'll end up pretty much paying for itself soon.

I really do appreciate this. I'm going to enjoy it so much (and so will all my friends who will be using it). :)

Everyone has their way, I prefer to mix in one shot amounts, I reuse Fix and Stop(if I use stop at all, mostly I use water), So I prefer HC110 or Rodinal, but I would also recommend on the cheap side, Arista Developer

Same with Fixer Arista Fixer

I have this tank, works for 2 35mm rolls or 1 120 roll and the reels are adjustable

I bought this thermometer

This Graduate

And 3 of these

Comes to $50.62 theres a million choices and none are wrong just make sure you dont forget anything.

I personally dont use a film retriever I just make sure to leave some film handing out when I wind my film back up, in my more modern camera there is a function to leave the leader out which I always use as well.

I havent done it, but Ive heard instead of photo flo you can get by with a drop of dish washing liquid.

Let us know how you get on, and post up results when you do you first roll.

I will definitely post my results. I just have to talk my mom into allowing me to do this in my bathroom... I've pretty much got her to the point that she'll allow it, though.

Also, how would I go about getting a more high-contrast result in my film? I love when black and white film has a really high contrast.

Wow. Thank you SO much, Gary. You know, I think I'm actually going to go through with it and buy everything. I know it'll end up pretty much paying for itself soon.

I really do appreciate this. I'm going to enjoy it so much (and so will all my friends who will be using it). :)

No problem ... I think you start out with D-76 as a standard ... then experiment with other developers after you've hit a comfort level with D-76.

One of the best cost savings is to buy film in 100' roll (bulk) ... a bulk film loader and a handfull of re-useable cassettes. Loading your own film will save you a ton of money.

If you don't have a changing bag ... then I suggest to load the developing tank at night ... just make sure you block all/any light leaks (i.e. a towel at the bottom of the door, some foil and tape anywhere else ... in the beginning it is much easier to develop when you have a little elbow room).

Good Luck,
Gary

+1 to what the other posters said. I think you are going to have a blast. Good luck!

I will definitely post my results. I just have to talk my mom into allowing me to do this in my bathroom... I've pretty much got her to the point that she'll allow it, though.

Also, how would I go about getting a more high-contrast result in my film? I love when black and white film has a really high contrast.
You are getting good advice here. :) Developing your own B&W film is incredibly easy and inexpensive. Honestly, the only thing that takes some getting used to is loading the film onto the reels, since this is the only part that has to be done in total darkness. But you can practice on a film strip so you can see where it needs to go and get the feel of winding it up, etc. Do it in daylight a few times, then practice in darkness before you actually have an exposed roll. If you have comfort level with this part, the rest is a piece of cake, as everything is done in daylight.

Remember you can save more $$ by buying cheap kitchen measuring cups at any discount store. Photography stores sell them, of course, but it all does the same thing. ;)

The only thing you might want a darkroom for is when you decide to print your own enlargements. Different animal. Right here on TPF there is a B&W film development guide, in several parts, written by Torus34 - go check it out in the Articles section. It is an excellent guide, and he is a great source.

Regarding adding some contrast to your film....that is done at the time of exposure, using colored filters. Yellow, orange and red are the usual ones. Experiment! Have fun. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back