Where do you find high quality digital backgrounds?

billthemountain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking to start doing some work with compositing, but Google Images doesn't tend to help me find CC backgrounds that I can actually use.

I'm curious if anyone knows of a good spot? I don't necessarily mean just for pattern and color digital backdrops, but maybe some more abstract ones as well?

Just search "digital backdrops" or "digital background" in your favorite search engine; there are thousands of 'sites selling them, and with a little effort, you can find a fair number of usable free ones as well. Many 'sites that sell Photoshop & Lightroom plug-ins sell backgrounds as well.

What John said. You can also make your own. I have a library of stock images I've taken myself for use in compositing.

It would easy to make abstract backgrounds. Take one of your sky/cloud photos and add a few filters like blur and color. Take a few photos of something using a long exposure and move the camera a little.

Another good diy source is to snap a few shots of walls. Brick, old barn walls, tin siding, etc. Can all serve as backgrounds.

I always tried to build my collection of backgrounds by carrying the camera and capturing interesting sky's over tree-lines and over open fields. Old points of interest, like grist mills and barns, often have some great old walls and floors. Look down and up as the ceilings and floors can also be good. Shoot in raw at the highest density you have and save the file with a long descriptive name so you can search and find what you want.

Most reactions

Back