Where do you go when you wanna shoot, but dont know what you wanna shoot?

Anywhere there are abandoned industrial structures, which here in the Rust Belt are plentiful.
Not so much around here. There are dilapadated barns....in the middle of wide open fields surrounded by houses. Montresor....thats from a Poe story, no?

I get on the subway or the bus, and see whatever city I happen to be in, and its suburbs. I get off whenever the mood strikes me. I don't want to worry about getting back and having to do a route redundantly, so I will try and move in a circular pattern, or just get a cab back.

haha i walk around my garden looking for non flowery things.

It's one of those days. I want to go out and take some photos, but I have no idea of what or where.

Post where you go when you just wanna take some photos. Any imput is appreciated, I'm just looking for ideas.

When I was in college, I'd hop in the car and head for the back roads. Just drive and turn, and have no direction, until I found something interesting. Maybe drive a little more. Getting lost was fun too.

Funny that someone mentioned cemeteries. Some of them, way out in the farmlands are pretty interesting. Old church yards. Nice work on the bigger monuments. Often have peaceful locations.

I like the old industrial areas also. Lots of rusted old "things" and "stuff". Anything abandoned.

In the city? Downtown business district is good. Find a river. Most cities were originally located on water, because of it's importance as a resource.

Basically, I just drive at random, until I see something interesting. It might be the city, the country, a small town, I never know what I'll find.

That's an easy one for me.... walk to the train station and head into NYC.

That's funny - I walk to the train station and head out of New York when I want to shoot. :lol: (Or at least to a park or the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens - anywhere without concrete).

Very easy. Get lost....

Get in the car. At the first intersection flip a coin, Heads = right, tails = left. Keep your eyes open for opportunities and\or new things. Repeat often.

I have spent many awesome Saturday mornings doing this very thing.

PS: There is a GPS in the trunk to help me find my way home.

I used to live in the rural Southern Oregon region and will be back there in a few weeks for about a month to visit family and freinds. What I liked to do is just go for a drive. Go down roads that I've never been down before and see what I can find. The last time I did that when I was in Oregon, I found a dynamite view of Mt. McLaughlin.

DSC_0136_EDIT_SMALL.jpg

When I moved to Seattle, I left my car behind and now I just walk amongst downtown.

Anyway, what school are you going to be going to in Seattle, Riggaberto?

I love that shot. Its incredible. Anyways I just go into my woods or into my backyard. There are some waterfalls near my house that I should visit soon.

I should be going to the Nature center today, where they have a lot of plants, animals, etc. It's really cool, and I should get some good shots their.

That's a pleasant shot. I'll be at UW, I live in Sequim right now.
My great aunt is from there...I've never heard the town mentioned by anyone but her and my grandma before. I've been there twice, when I was 7 and 9. My great aunt and uncle lived near a forest and we used to go to a place they called the spit. It was always misty outside, would make for beautiful shots.

I am of two minds of this. I sort of agree to the if you dont plan to shoot your shoot seems unplanned, but at the same time have taken some cool pictures just goofing around.

Try to do something else other than look for something to shoot, just have the camera in hand. Dont go to the beach, or downtown, or wherever JUSt to shoot, go for lunch, or to see the sights, and just bring the camera. Likely a shot or two will jump out at you, but usually not when youre looking for it!

Does that make any sense?

If it was me, I'd go to the mall. I get the feeling there are some great shots to be had, I just cant figure them out... one day I will!

If you know what you want to shoot then a plan is essential. Things will change as you work of course, but you need an aim...something that will help it to make sense. Whether it´s documentary or and abstract series, the best photographers know what they want.

Another thing: If you are really struggling for inspiration, you need to spend some time looking at the works of the real masters...classics who have inspired generations...
Then, don´t copy...rather, steal their ideas. If you can do this then you have understood the essence of what they were doing, and are able to put it to use in your OWN way. This, btw, is a classic old rule itself.

Another thing: If you are really struggling for inspiration, you need to spend some time looking at the works of the real masters...classics who have inspired generations...
Then, don´t copy...rather, steal their ideas. If you can do this then you have understood the essence of what they were doing, and are able to put it to use in your OWN way. This, btw, is a classic old rule itself.

Who are some of the masters... classics who you look at if you do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back