Where does your inspiration come from?

theusher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I seem to lack inspiration as of late, a usual problem for me unfortunately. What inspires you, or gives you ideas about what would make a good photograph? I browse Flickr often, and while I like a lot of what I see it doesn't seem to provide too much inspiration.

The only time I don't lack inspiration is on vacations, I always seem to find stuff to photograph.

I think most of us have those 'down' moments. Personally I just put the camera aside for a week or two and by the end I am craving (no joke) to take it out. That sure speeds up the creativity juice.

Reading photography blogs sometimes gives me the inspiration I need. I'll sometimes come across a post that gives out some good creative ideas. In fact, it's on my mind so much that I've created a category tag just for "inspiration" in my own blog. The stuff I put in there is usually somewhat motivating.

Light. Try shooting during the magic hours. A lot of the scenes that you see every day will take on a lovely texture and shape during these times. And of course a lot of work here on the TPF is inspiring. Check out the work of the masters (if there is such a thing) of photography. See the work in local galleries and museums. Do not limit yourself to only photography.

Light. Try shooting during the magic hours. A lot of the scenes that you see every day will take on a lovely texture and shape during these times.
Same here. and when i've got camera in hand, it just takes over.

Well, can't I relate to your problems only too well??
Particularly in these months of total greyness day in day out I thoroughly lack any kind of inspiration, not to mention creativity.

Nothing works, and when I feel it did again after having (not knowing I would) followed Brittany's advice to leave the camera untouched for weeks to get this craving for it (which I did not really get, even after all this while :roll: ), and I present what I did, no one's interested. So that does not really give a boost to my lack of confidence and inspiration and creativity ... :cry:

a copy of lenswork also helps me out. IMO, it's an outstanding publication.

Thanks, good suggestions so far, keep them coming. =)

I generally find more inspiration in looking at real prints in galleries and museums than photos online. A trip to the art museum can really get my juices flowing. I don't just look at the photographs, but can often find inspiration in other art forms too.

Good books can also inspire me. Recently I picked up "Five Decades" by Arnold Newman, and it's provided enough inspiration to keep me busy for a while.

High quality photo mags can be good. Lenswork is a good one.

I also find inspiration from looking at real prints in galleries, especially the masters. But I also find that some photo books are so well done that they can look as good as or better than the original print. So I have a decent collection of photo books that I like to take out and study.

Instead of hijacking this thread, I'll start another for links to some inspiring photo masters.

Most reactions

Back