Where shall I buy Camera when online?

amsurfer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am based in central london UK. I am interested to buy a digital camera online, i am confused by some of the factors i found in online shoping, thats about the inclusion and exclusion of VAT, shipping costs factors, I found some of the Nikon brands available in www.adoroma.com, www.ebay.com lesser in price than UK, but without VAT,shipping cost,, In UK prices are good in comparison with other countries of Europe but yea www.microglobe.co.uk www.warehousexpress.com with inclusion of VAT and shipping cost for me is better then the one in Adoroma wowwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!! what to do next buddddies,,,, hey listen what the say you know, price of a camera in US online stores is good then UK for it was exclusive of VAT and lense,,, seee.....

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here.

Many US stores will not ship to the UK, especially for Nikon equipment. If they do, you are liable for import duty. It's also advisable to use a reputable international courier with insurance. By the time those costs are added on, it usually isn't much of a difference in price, and the warranty is invalid.

Try and buy from a reputable vendor in the UK, to afford yourself the most recourse should something unfortunate happen - like the goods not arriving, or being damaged in transit. Check out the site www.resellerratings.com and make sure the shop has a decent reputation before purchasing.

Rob

I think they won't deliver order from US to UK, the better thing you do is to shop online at the place near you..

you can compare those prices of different cameras in different stores near you that prolly offer quality camera..

i had a similar dilema a few months back. I took a chance and bought from a website, based in the UK that i'd never heard of and didnt have any reseller ratings. It is called http://www.abc-digital-cameras.co.uk/ . I bought a Canon 24-70mmL for £850 at the time, which, at the least is £100 cheaper than i could find anywhere else on the net. It arrived a couple of days later in perfect condition and works great.

they might be worth you checking out. I had no problems with them, but then maybe i was lucky

JohnMF said:
i had a similar dilema a few months back. I took a chance and bought from a website, based in the UK that i'd never heard of and didnt have any reseller ratings. It is called http://www.abc-digital-cameras.co.uk/ . I bought a Canon 24-70mmL for £850 at the time, which, at the least is £100 cheaper than i could find anywhere else on the net. It arrived a couple of days later in perfect condition and works great.

they might be worth you checking out. I had no problems with them, but then maybe i was lucky

Just checked your abc link......the 1Ds MK II which I'm considering is £4599....which is £1 more expensive than.....Jessops!!!
Rather amazingly I've found Jessops to be among the cheapest places for this particular camera. It means I can go into the shop and buy one and if there is any problem i can easily go and(argue with them.
I'm considering buying it in B&H when i go to NYC in November but I'll have no warranty.....and am assuming customs don't charge me VAT when i bring it into the UK

Interesting site....but check Jessops....it may surprise you.

darich said:
Just checked your abc link......the 1Ds MK II which I'm considering is £4599....which is £1 more expensive than.....Jessops!!!
Rather amazingly I've found Jessops to be among the cheapest places for this particular camera. It means I can go into the shop and buy one and if there is any problem i can easily go and argue with them.
I'm considering buying it in B&H when i go to NYC in November but I'll have no warranty.....and am assuming customs don't charge me VAT when i bring it into the UK

Interesting site....but check Jessops....it may surprise you.

that's a fair comment, not all their stuff is cheaper but it's good to have a selection of different places you can pick and mix from.

With regards to customs i think you can still be charged VAT on stuff you bring back, but im not entirely sure

JohnMF said:
that's a fair comment, not all their stuff is cheaper but it's good to have a selection of different places you can pick and mix from.

With regards to customs i think you can still be charged VAT on stuff you bring back, but im not entirely sure

You're right on both counts - I could be charged VAT on re-entering the UK. 17.5% on the camera would make it more expensive than buying it here to start with. When I said i could be charged i meant if i was caught!! :)

Re Jessops - they're good on some items like that camera but on memory cards for example they can be as much as twice as other places on line.

I always have a look because you never know - you might find they're cheaper

Hey guys i did my shoping from http://www.microglobe.co.uk, the camera Nikon D200 was cheaper then one in www.jessop.com, still jessop has a big store,i appretiate that, but what i need is not a big store, but good service and low price,,,, thank you all for your valueable and kind suggestions.:wink:

Most reactions

Back