Where Should I Start Now?

My other option is, I can run and get the f1.8 today (free), and start practicing with it. In a few weeks, I can save a little bit of money, grab the f1.4 (for close to retail ~$350), and then sell the f1.8.

Should I just wait, or should I just go grab the 1.8?

If you can get a FREE 50mm1.8, why pass it up? Seems silly. But, if the 1.8 interferes with the cost of your 1.4, then you might want to wait, since the 1.4 is a much, much better lens. But please, whatever you do, whatever fast prime you get, don't shoot everything wide open, then come here to ask why your photos seem out of focus. :lol:

I personally like my 1.8 because it's all but disposable. I can take it places, and do things with it I would NEVER DREAM of doing with my more expensive lenses.

My other option is, I can run and get the f1.8 today (free), and start practicing with it. In a few weeks, I can save a little bit of money, grab the f1.4 (for close to retail ~$350), and then sell the f1.8.

Should I just wait, or should I just go grab the 1.8?

If you can get a FREE 50mm1.8, why pass it up? Seems silly. But, if the 1.8 interferes with the cost of your 1.4, then you might want to wait, since the 1.4 is a much, much better lens. But please, whatever you do, whatever fast prime you get, don't shoot everything wide open, then come here to ask why your photos seem out of focus. :lol:

I personally like my 1.8 because it's all but disposable. I can take it places, and do things with it I would NEVER DREAM of doing with my more expensive lenses.

The full story is, I've been the highest ranking sales person in the district for several months, and even though we don't work on commission, we get "points", we can use these points for things such as cruises, equipment, products, money, giftcards, etc. So I have approximately $150 in points, so I was going to use this for the 1.8, then just save some money from my paychecks for the 1.4.

The full story is, I've been the highest ranking sales person in the district for several months, and even though we don't work on commission, we get "points", we can use these points for things such as cruises, equipment, products, money, giftcards, etc.

So you work on commission then.

I hate it when these companies make up silly names for comission, just so they can tell the customers they don't work on "commission". Just ****ing ridiculous.

Congrats on the sales though, as much as I think its a crime for companies to lie about the commissioned status of their sales associates, I do believe that good sales people should be rewarded.

The full story is, I've been the highest ranking sales person in the district for several months, and even though we don't work on commission, we get "points", we can use these points for things such as cruises, equipment, products, money, giftcards, etc.

So you work on commission then.

I hate it when these companies make up silly names for comission, just so they can tell the customers they don't work on "commission". Just ****ing ridiculous.

Congrats on the sales though, as much as I think its a crime for companies to lie about the commissioned status of their sales associates, I do believe that good sales people should be rewarded.

yeah, drives me crazy. The one best buy I sometimes go to, the first thing out of the guy's mouth is always "I don't work on commission, so you know all I have is your bests interests, doesn't make a bit of difference to me what you buy, just as long as you're happy." "then why don't you leave me alone, I guarantee I know more about headphones than you do?" "I doubt that sir, I'm just trying to help" 10 minutes later "Sure I can't help you with something?" "yeah, can you tell me what the THD is on this speaker at 85dB?" "uh, um, it's a great speaker, but that's a 2.0 system, why don't you look at a nice surround system?!"

Not saying OP is like that, but the salespeople at Best Buy are just about as awful as their pricing is, by and large. If it wasn't one of the few places you can go to see what a piece of equipment physically looks like, I'd never go there.

Haha, they actually just started this program, and getting these points is entirely at a managers descression, so not every store does it, but they really give the points out for all kinds of reasons.

Example
Manager: This customer is royally ticked. INSERT RANDOM NAME HERE, can you help them?
Sales Associate: Sure no problem.
LATER
Manager: Everything go smooth?
Sales Associate: Yeah.
Manager: Cool here's 100 points.

Haha, they actually just started this program, and getting these points is entirely at a managers descression, so not every store does it, but they really give the points out for all kinds of reasons.

Example
Manager: This customer is royally ticked. INSERT RANDOM NAME HERE, can you help them?
Sales Associate: Sure no problem.
LATER
Manager: Everything go smooth?
Sales Associate: Yeah.
Manager: Cool here's 100 points.

Yeah, but previously promotions, prime hours on the schedule, raises, etc were all based on sales, mostly. And some Best Buy people are okay, some even good. Though since I usually only go there when I already know the ins and outs of the product I'm looking at, I just want to physically see it, they are almost never helpful, haha.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread.

I went ahead and grabbed the f/1.8, as well as a 2 year accidental protection plan. I played with it a bit, and I'm satisfied with the auto focus and the aperature range. That being said, when I get enough for the 1.4, I'll be giving the 1.8 away (possibly on here), for free as I used my discount and can't technically sell it. Overall I think it's a decent lens for the price.

I could match the title and the contents of thread generated. Where should i started mean that from where should i start but i could not find any line telling me that where should i start. by ImagesInn

Interesting thread. I'm even beginnerer than the OP, so I'm reading the suggestions for my own use.

Get a coffee in the bookstore and look through the photography books....start with composition. Stuff like...don't chop off parts of a subject, where is the subject located in the frame (generally not centered), etc. Look to see what makes good photos stand out...and what makes then boring. A good photographer can find a good shot in the most boring of subject matters.

I don't think you need much equipment at the start to learn the basics. Just an enthusiasm to make you take literally thousands of photos. That in itself will give you a huge learning experience which will result in you finding your own style of photography that you prefer. By then you should know what you want to progress.

Keep up to date on forums such as this, magazines, books etc and best off all, check out a lot of the great photographers work out there to keep you inspired! By the time you do all that, I think you will be ready to further your equipment catalogue.

I've been shooting a lot with a local professional photographer, honestly my ideas are helping him, and his talents are helping me, it's an awesome trade off.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back