Where to buy from ?

Thedirtycat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been looking at getting a new lens for a while to replace my kit lens. The problem is I'm not sure where to buy from. Obviously I can buy from the well know places but I know its possible to save a lot of money buying elsewhere. I got my camera off ebay for a lot cheaper than if I had got it from the local shop. Obviously I checked to make sure they had a good reputation first.
I keep seeing some good prices from different UK websites but some of them seem really strange.
I'm looking at getting the sigma 18-35mm 1.8 lens and one site was advertising it saying it was for full frame cameras which is wrong.
Basically I'm after somewhere I can get it a bit cheaper but a site that had a good reputation. I normally search online but a lot of them come up with mixed reviews.
Thought it was best asking you lot as might know some good sites that you always use! I'm from England so after uk sites!

I don't know anything about UK websites, but I will offer my 2 pence anyway.

How much can you save by buying from a shady website? 10%? 20%? Is what you save worth the possibility of being outright cheated for 100%?

Personally, I think finding a good, honest deal on E-Bay is like rolling dice to find out if you get a good deal or get cheated. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. My opinion.

I would rather shop at a store or website that gives me nearly 100% chance of obtaining exactly what I order at a reasonable price than trying to save a few bucks/quid at some questionable outlet.

You got more than 2 pence worth, so please remit at your earliest convenience.

Yeah I see what you mean. It seems like a big difference though. I saw some sites selling it for just over £400 and then a well know companies are selling it for maybe £600 or more which is quite a lot more really. I have found one person on ebay that is selling a second hand one and he says its hardly been used and has 100% positive feedback. Could be worth a go. Shame most of these people I find are always hours away from me so I can't just drive over to check the item first. If it was something that was £100 normally and i was just saving £20 then I would probably spend the extra money but saving £150 or £200 is a lot to me. Like you say though its a lot to lose if I take that risk.

There are NO "good deals" from sketchy web vendors....If the price is too good to be true, rest assured, it is. But there does exist a fairly significant percentage of people who are enamored of the idea of saving that last three percent or so, the people who are interested in "sticking it to the seller", and those are the people who are easy prey for shady web-based vendors. If a LARGE, national retail chain says the price is £100, and a second, third, and fourth vendor lists the price as £100, then that is the ACTUAL, real, current selling price for that item.

When some shady dealer posts a web blurb offering to sell it to you for 20% less, you might as well realize that you'll be bent over and grabbing your ankles. because there is simply NOT 20% of usable blue sky on new, warrantied products! I used to work in the camera and video selling industry...margins are TIGHT!!! Again, there does not exist a 20% land of blue sky. Just.DOes.Not.Exist. But there are people who think it's possible to use web search engines to locate mythical great deals on new camera gear.

Bring your own Vaseline.

Ah I see. I mean I did get my camera off an ebay seller for quite a bit cheaper and it seems fine but I get your point. I might keep checking ebay for second hand ones. The one I found seems like its good as he says its pretty much new but I wanted to send him a message with a couple of questions but it wont let me so kind of unsure about that now. I guess I've always been really tight with money apart from when I got my car but a bit different when its thousands not hundreds.
Is second hand stuff worth it or would it be best to avoid that ? Seems lenses seem to hold their price quite well though!

I've been looking at getting a new lens for a while to replace my kit lens. The problem is I'm not sure where to buy from. Obviously I can buy from the well know places but I know its possible to save a lot of money buying elsewhere. I got my camera off ebay for a lot cheaper than if I had got it from the local shop. Obviously I checked to make sure they had a good reputation first.
I keep seeing some good prices from different UK websites but some of them seem really strange.
I'm looking at getting the sigma 18-35mm 1.8 lens and one site was advertising it saying it was for full frame cameras which is wrong.
Basically I'm after somewhere I can get it a bit cheaper but a site that had a good reputation. I normally search online but a lot of them come up with mixed reviews.
Thought it was best asking you lot as might know some good sites that you always use! I'm from England so after uk sites!

I'm also not familiar with UK but second hand lens do hold their value and are often better deals than buying new. - look on the DSLR camera buy/sell forums

I'm also not familiar with UK but second hand lens do hold their value and are often better deals than buying new. - look on the DSLR camera buy/sell forums

Ah yea. I think I prefer to buy something that will hold its value so I guess thats always a good reason to get second hand. I did order the lens in the end. I saw it go for £411 on ebay but I ended up paying a small amount more for a second hand one from a UK company that sells new and second hand equipment that has stores around here. They actually have a store near me but they only had the one for canon so ordered it from another store in the UK and at it comes with a 6 month warrenty!

Most reactions

Back