Where to get prints done?

BeCaptivated

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am starting my own business, but I am not sure where to get the prints done? Doing them myself is not an option, I have to send out for them. I've looked into Mpix and EZprints, are there any others that you can recommend?

i get my prints from www.prolabexpress.com I love them. I started using them because of my graphic design biz but I have used them many times for my photos and they have always come out beautiful. ProLab also has incredible customer service and if your order is $15 or more you get free shipping.

Thank you very much, I will check them out.

Costco.

By the way, there are several other recent threads on this. If you don't get lots of replies, try using the Search to find more.

COSTCO!?!? ewww... Sorry but i wouldn't use any of the stores if you want high quality prints. Go with one of the online things, and make sure that you know if the auto correct software is on or off when you upload to the printing sites. I personally use EL-CO printing because they have trained people look at the file before it is printed, that way your almost guaranteed a good print... They have never let me down thus far! :)

COSTCO!?!? ewww... Sorry but i wouldn't use any of the stores if you want high quality prints. Go with one of the online things, and make sure that you know if the auto correct software is on or off when you upload to the printing sites. I personally use EL-CO printing because they have trained people look at the file before it is printed, that way your almost guaranteed a good print... They have never let me down thus far! :)

Have you actually gotten prints done there? I did a test a few months ago, having them print several different types of photographs at different sizes with different finishes. They were all superb, including a 12x12 print of the Orion Nebula that has a huge dynamic range with some very subtle filaments of gas that are just slightly brighter than black, and they came out perfectly. Their printers support 32-bit color space, that's 4.3 billion colors, and they're light-based, so no ink, and they get some of the blackest blacks I've seen.

They're also cheap enough that there's no harm in testing them out to see if you like it. So before you go ripping on it, you should try it out. Or if you did, you might have just had a bad experience. But your post reads as highly elitist.

Well now that we got the opinion from the Costco employee well move on. Seriously though all yo uhave to do is Google "Professional photo labs" and you eill get a million hits I think who you choose depends on the kind of photography you do and the volume you plan on getting. Most good professionla labs won't even deal with you unless you are going to do some kind of large volume or you want to pay them a monthly fee or both.

Well now that we got the opinion from the Costco employee well move on.

Um, no, I'm a graduate student in astronomy, never worked at Costco and never will. In science we have to back up what we say with evidence. Which is what I did vs. what Scott did. Scott gave not a polite, "I disagree with Stu. I don't like Costco because [insert reason]." Rather, he gave a response that seemed intentionally designed to insult and elicit a defensive response from me. Granted, I rose to the occasion and perhaps I was over-defensive, but I stand by my support for a cheap and convenient place to get prints.

Now to get back to your regularly scheduled program ...

I am starting my own business, but I am not sure where to get the prints done? Doing them myself is not an option, I have to send out for them. I've looked into Mpix and EZprints, are there any others that you can recommend?

I would suggest looking into local places, i have loads of places round me who print photos, like proper print/design places, if you ring round and tell them that you are (hopefully) going to offer them regular work they might offer you a deal. also, local stuff can be suprisingly cheap. I got a hoody printed the other day (differnt kind of printing i know) from a local place that i found by chance. and it was cheaper than i was prepaired to pay on the internet.
and cos it was local, i didnt payfor delivery.

i don't know what it is lately but why are there so many rude debates on this forum. what works for one person doesn't work for everyone. i have used costco for things that i really dont need to show anyone but myself. I have also used my favorite pro lab for when i'm sending prints to clients. I think its great that Costco can offer far better quality prints than most 1 hour photo places. I do like the ability to get decent prints made especially when i'm doing test shots before a shoot. Are they pro level? no Are they an affordable alternative for test shots? Yes.

for someone starting out mpix is fine but eventually you will want to move up. Miller prints is great if you have the large volume. I personally use Prolabexpress and have gotten nothing but great service and results from all their services (i have tried just about all of them) sure they might cost a bit more than a local shop that i have yet to try out but for now they work for me.

Best of luck to you BeCaptivated

I also have done the same test and saw no differ, at Costco you just have ask for the auto color adjustment to be turn off

I also think Adorama is very good

Just to make things clear I wasn't trying to make your choice to go to Costco to be a bad thing. It's just there was a little sarcasm in my post. Nothing against you at all Stu, and I'm sorry if I offended you. that was not my intention at all. Just a little bad sarcasm on my part.

And the reason that I don't like Costco is because I have never gotten good prints from my local Costco... Just be be clear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back