Where to go next?

baltamania123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
(Moderators: I wasn't sure where to put this. Please move it if it isn't in the right place!)

Hello everyone!

Alrighty, just a little background on myself. My name is Hannah. I LOVE photography and have been doing the best with what I got since the age of 13. When I was around 15 years old I saved up enough money for a Canon Rebel XS. Since, then I have honed my skills by shooting everything that moves. As I approach my sweet 16, photography has turned into more of a business than a hobby. I have shot many portraits and now three weddings in total. (I am also booked for two more weddings in the near future.) I say all of this to say, that I have been bountifully blessed with amazing opportunities that most 15 year olds would dream of having. I still consider myself a beginner with a lot to learn and so much more to experience. That is why I am coming to Thephotoforum.com to learn all that I can so I can be a better photographer and provide even more high quality products for my customers.

So, here is my dilemma. I know I need to upgrade in some direction be it computing, cameras, lenses, software, etc; but I have a limited amount of money (like everyone else) and I want to go in the best possible direction. AKA I want to make sure I invest my money into something that will allow me to do my job better and make more money! $-)

Here is a list of my equipment:

Camera: Canon Rebel XS
Lens: 18-55m
75-300m (Came as a package with the camera)
Flash: Speedlite 430EX II (various diffusers)

Stands: Basic, adjustable tripod (nothing special)
Computing: HP Pavilion dv4* (intel i3, Windows 7)
Software: GIMP 2

*small note about the computer: I broke like 3-4 of the keys on the keyboard and the battery constantly falls out. Overall, I feel like my computer if falling apart.

So, that is what I am currently using and it has been working, but I know that I can do much better. All my customers have been happy with the products I give them because I work very hard to make sure it is the best. (It is hard enough to be 15 and people to take you seriously) That is why I want to continue to upgrade.

I have around $2,500 dollars to spend. This is what I have been thinking. You will notice that everything on my list is at BestBuy.com that is because there is a promotion happening right now that will give a $130 dollar gift certificate if I spend more than $1,000. Plus I get tons of points on my Best Buy Rewards card. (If you are insistent on purchasing elsewhere I would need a very good reason)
This is a list of the equipment I want, but I know I can’t have it all.

Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i package (now if you don’t think the package deal is a good idea let me know)
Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18.0MP DSLR Camera, Bag, 8GB Memory Card, Extra Lens

Computing: MacBook Pro 13.3 i7 (Now, would it be wise to, from a photographer’s standpoint, to get the 13.3 inch or the 15.4 inch. I don’t have the money for a 17 inch obviously. So, should I get the 13.3 inch now and then pick up a bigger plug-in monitor down the road?)
Apple® - MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 750GB Hard Drive - MD314LL/A

Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended: Teacher and Student edition (I am home-schooled. I’ve checked the requirements and I pass.)
Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended 12: Student and Teacher Edition - Mac

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3: Student and Teacher edition (I honestly don’t know the difference between the above software and this one)
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3: Student and Teacher Edition - Mac/Windows

There is nothing else that was on my list, but if you have a suggestion I am more than willing to listen!

In conclusion, I am so sorry for all the time I have taken from your day. I really do appreciate if you shed some of your knowledge by replying to this post. Thank you very much!

Regards,
Hannah!

Welcome aboard Hannah,

I'll give you a little warning, you might get blasted here on the forum (hopefully not too much). Many photographer take offense when they see new/young photographers shooting weddings without enough gear, and especially if they are not properly prepared, licensed & legal for business etc.
But, everyone has to start somewhere...so keep a thick skin and you'll get some great advice around here.

Firstly, I do hope that you are running a legal business and paying taxes on the money you charge etc. If not, look into that ASAP.

Next, I cringe any time I see someone list their equipment for weddings...and there is no backup gear. What would you do if your camera fell and broke...or if it just stopped working for some unknown reason? What if your 18-55mm lens broke (it's a pretty cheaply made lens)? Do you think that it would be enough if you just told the B&G "Sorry, I don't have any photos, my camera broke"? Weddings are (supposed to be) once in a lifetime events and they are trusting you to capture photos of the moment. It's a big responsibility.

So it's good that you want to upgrade your gear, but don't get rid of what you have now, you'll need that as backup.

OK, for the camera, the T3i is indeed a nice upgrade from your XS...but it's still a 'consumer level' DSLR. It's perfectly capable of great images, especially if you pair it with great lenses, but there are many reasons why a higher level camera would be recommended. For example, a Canon 40D, 50D or 60D would be good choices. The 40D & 50D are older models, so you'd have to buy them used, but it would get you a great camera for less money.

Don't buy a laptop to be your image editing computer. If you want a computer for editing your images, get a desk top. Or at least get an external monitor with a laptop that will always be in the same location (your desk etc.). You should also get a monitor calibration device ($100), so that you know your monitor is showing you an accurate display.

Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3 are great tools, and if you can get the student versions, then that's a great deal. Although, you don't absolutely need both. Most photographers who have both, probably use LR most of the time, but there are things that you still need Photoshop for. But you may be able to use GIMP or Elements in place of PS and do most of your editing in LR.

Really, the thing that I see lacking from your gear list (besides backup) is better/faster lenses. The lenses you have are 'slow', meaning that the maximum aperture is only F3.5 to F5.6 (depending on the zoom). That's not very good. Most wedding photographers use zoom lenses with a maximum aperture of F2.8 (for the whole zoom range). A larger aperture give you a shallower DOF, but more importantly, it lets in more light, which allows you to use faster shutter speeds, which means sharper photos.

The only option that you might find at best buy, would be the Canon 50mm F1.8. If that's your only option, then get that....but ideally, I'd suggest something like the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Lens for Canon AF016C700 B&H.

Hi Hannah - Welcome!

Big Mike for president!

Really though, Mike spelled it perfectly

Welcome aboard Hannah,

I'll give you a little warning, you might get blasted here on the forum (hopefully not too much). Many photographer take offense when they see new/young photographers shooting weddings without enough gear, and especially if they are not properly prepared, licensed & legal for business etc.
But, everyone has to start somewhere...so keep a thick skin and you'll get some great advice around here.

Firstly, I do hope that you are running a legal business and paying taxes on the money you charge etc. If not, look into that ASAP.

Well, I would like to think I have a thick skin. In all honesty, I shot my first wedding because a friend of mine asked me to. It turned out very well and I've been rolling from there.

Now, I wasn't aware about licensing and stuff like that. Sadly, I also haven't had anything to do with taxes. (I honestly thought that because of my age I didn't have to worry about it. Ignorance is bliss haha)

I, of course, want to be properly licensed and taxed now that I know it is a requirement. Any place I should start reading/calling?

Next, I cringe any time I see someone list their equipment for weddings...and there is no backup gear. What would you do if your camera fell and broke...or if it just stopped working for some unknown reason? What if your 18-55mm lens broke (it's a pretty cheaply made lens)? Do you think that it would be enough if you just told the B&G "Sorry, I don't have any photos, my camera broke"? Weddings are (supposed to be) once in a lifetime events and they are trusting you to capture photos of the moment. It's a big responsibility.

I understand the responsibility and it is very important to me. Now, the equipment I listed above is the equipment I have, but I always take my older brother to weddings with me. He doesn't pursue photography as actively as I do, but he does have photography skills. He usually brings a Nikon D40 with short & long lenses. To clear things up, I don't go into weddings completely backup(less).

I most certainly agree that I should get more of my own backup stuff. In case, my brother can't do the wedding, he drops his stuff in a garbage compactor, etc.

So it's good that you want to upgrade your gear, but don't get rid of what you have now, you'll need that as backup.

Oh, don't worry I won't get rid of what I have now. =)

OK, for the camera, the T3i is indeed a nice upgrade from your XS...but it's still a 'consumer level' DSLR. It's perfectly capable of great images, especially if you pair it with great lenses, but there are many reasons why a higher level camera would be recommended. For example, a Canon 40D, 50D or 60D would be good choices. The 40D & 50D are older models, so you'd have to buy them used, but it would get you a great camera for less money.

Okay, I understand. Where would I search for a used Canon?

Don't buy a laptop to be your image editing computer. If you want a computer for editing your images, get a desk top. Or at least get an external monitor with a laptop that will always be in the same location (your desk etc.). You should also get a monitor calibration device ($100), so that you know your monitor is showing you an accurate display.

Well, I want a laptop, because my "day job" is being a student. I was hoping that I could use a MacBook for photography work and for school work. Would this be unwise?

Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3 are great tools, and if you can get the student versions, then that's a great deal. Although, you don't absolutely need both. Most photographers who have both, probably use LR most of the time, but there are things that you still need Photoshop for. But you may be able to use GIMP or Elements in place of PS and do most of your editing in LR.

Lightroom. Got it =)

Really, the thing that I see lacking from your gear list (besides backup) is better/faster lenses. The lenses you have are 'slow', meaning that the maximum aperture is only F3.5 to F5.6 (depending on the zoom). That's not very good. Most wedding photographers use zoom lenses with a maximum aperture of F2.8 (for the whole zoom range). A larger aperture give you a shallower DOF, but more importantly, it lets in more light, which allows you to use faster shutter speeds, which means sharper photos.

Now, for backups you mean everything I have on my list 2x? If I was to get a better lens, say the Tamron, would my current 18-55m be suitable for a quick fix backup?

The only option that you might find at best buy, would be the Canon 50mm F1.8. If that's your only option, then get that....but ideally, I'd suggest something like the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Lens for Canon AF016C700 B&H.

Thank you SO much for all the feedback. I obviously have a lot to learn and I appreciate that you are tolerating my inexperience. I really appreciate it!

So, in your opinion, what should be the first thing I get? Lens, Camera, Extra Flash?

Regards,
Hannah!

I, of course, want to be properly licensed and taxed now that I know it is a requirement. Any place I should start reading/calling?
You'll probably need a standard 'small / home based' business licensee. Probably issued through your local city/county office. You might want to talk to an accountant to help you set things up. The good part is that you'll be able to write off some of your business expenses etc. I should also mention that it would be wise to have business liability insurance as well.

Okay, I understand. Where would I search for a used Canon?
Check your local classifieds, Craig's List etc. You can also get used (or refurbished) gear from places like B&H or KEH.com.
Well, I want a laptop, because my "day job" is being a student. I was hoping that I could use a MacBook for photography work and for school work. Would this be unwise?
That's understandable. The problem is that most lap top screens aren't great for editing photos on. Also, because it's a laptop, you'll tend to use it in different locations and with different viewing angles. That may lead to you seeing the images differently, depending on where you edit them. So like I said, if you must use a laptop, get a desk top monitor to plug into it (in a constant location) for your photo editing. Don't forget about calibration...check out the Spyder.
Also, you will want to backup all of the photos on a separate drive, so that if anything happens to the laptop, the photos are not lost.

Now, for backups you mean everything I have on my list 2x? If I was to get a better lens, say the Tamron, would my current 18-55m be suitable for a quick fix backup?
While it would be ideal, no...you don't need an exact duplicate of every bit of gear. So it would be reasonable to have the 18-55mm as a backup. You might also be able to save some money by getting a cheaper flash as a backup. Just make sure that you know how to operate it, before you show up for a wedding.

I forgot to mention it the first time, but you should also have a good supply of memory cards, camera batteries and AA batteries for the flash.

Alrighty, I made some executive decisions today. I took some of the advice you gave me and some I learned while browsing other forums. This is what I did.

I decided that my laptop is just a big o'le mess and I need to replace it. Not only for photography needs, but for other needs such as school work and socializing. So, I got...

Computing: Refurb MacBook Pro 13.3 inch screen intel i7 (with a $183.00 3-year warranty)

The reason why I got Refurb instead of brand-new is for these reasons:
1. The refurb is cheaper by a few hundred.
2. With the warranty, I have the same coverage as Joe who just bought the same new MacBook from the Apple Store.
3. For better or for worse, I trust Apple.

(Also, I am looking into getting either Apple Aperture 3 or Adobe Lightroom 3)
(Also again, I know that 13.3 inches is no room at all to work with for rendering, but I am hoping that I can make-do until I can afford/come-across a decent monitor. Then grab a color calibration device. [You mentioned Spyder] )

Now, this leaves some money leftover. My next purchase will be a new, and much better, lens. I am thinking similar to the one you originally showed me Big Mike. I think of it this way: I buy a great lens and it could make my good camera awesome. If the lens doesn't dramatically improve the quality of my pictures (because the Rebel XS cannot keep up) I will eventually buy the...

Camera:
Canon 60D or 7D

After your comments on the T3i, I realized that it would be foolish to purchase it. Rather I should invest in either the 60D or 7D. I haven't decided which one I would go for yet, because there are good arguments (in my opinion) for both. 60D, IMHO, leans more toward videography with the manual audio controls and the flippy LCD screen. The 7D on the other hand boasts a faster FPS and more durability. I have also heard that the buttons on the 60D are horrid, but I am not sure about that.

So, I feel as if I have started to accomplish my goals.

-Replace my ailing computer
-Begin to backup my equipment with a new lens
-Upgrade/backup my camera with a 60/7D
-And most importantly, move the chains on becoming a recognized business and taxed properly

Thank you Big Mike and Joey for your comments! I truly appreciate them. If you have any comments on "Plan" please let me know. I am always open to suggestion.

Regards,
Hannah!

HONESTLY, I would buy a desktop Mac over a laptop...like an iMac with a BIGGER SCREEN...it makes editing easier, and the pictures look much better when showing them to clients,etc. If all you need is a portable computer to carrt around and do slideshow demos on, get something cheap, like some Windoze laptop.

I understand the allure of a laptop, but a desktop computer has a better, bigger screen.

I'd think about getting a used Canon 40D,and moving the Rebel to backup status. Then, I would look into a better "general use" zoom lens; specifically the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Relegate the 18-55 kit lens to emergency backup use.

Spend a few hundred on a brand-new Canon 580 EX-II flash.

Hi Hannah. Although Mike is right go at it with a passion to learn, grow, and do the best job you can without stressing all the good points he is making right now. You still are growing so you can make it a goal to reach. Remember you are going to make a ton of mistakes. If you go do a job and something breaks then you will know exactly what Mike means. Welcome and I wish you well.

Jai

Good job Hannah : ) Really love the decisions your making so far. Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple Computers haha. So yea lets see some of your shots! I'm very interested what a 15 year old with your level of enthusiasm is shooting. You go girl!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back